Distraction

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by xjb0906, May 12, 2012.

1. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    So many things can have an effect on your performance ability. At times my playing ability is much greater in the practice room than it is at a live performance. Most of the time my nerves are my biggest distraction. At my last gig it was a combination of one of my band mates taking a picture of me during a solo and me checking out an unusually young lady in a little white dress at the dance we were playing. Most of the folks that come to the dances we play are at or close to retirement age. Not sure if she was dancing with her daddy or her sugar daddy.

The solo was on the closing number and I started to play it in the wrong key. My horror turned the solo into a fumble fest. The funny thing is that I don't think any of the dancers noticed. They cheered more than normal and were upset that we had to leave. Apparently we had to vacate to allow the stage to be taken down in time to meet the requirements of the room rental.

Anyway I messed up this time due to having too much fun rather than being stressed out. I'll take that and work on being a little more focused at the next gig.

2. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA

Hey, that's cool -- we have one of those distractions in our band --- but she plays saxophone ---- I get nerves also, because in the band, they seem to play all of the rhythm wrong (or most likely FASTER - than I expect) -- and NOW, I volunteered to play the 3 marching songs on the trombone for the 5 parades ---- uhhmmmm --what the ...., was I thinking ---------- I must admit, after 5 months of practicing the trombone ----OLE KT here might have stepped a little too far over the edge this time ------------but I got 2 weeks to prepare ------------------------------ahhhhhhh!, The positive side --is that the concert last week on the Trumpet was awesome though -- it all gelled together, my timing was spot on, and the notes seemed to flow, and I had a very positive experience for the first FULL ENSEMBLE concert in 30 years ---- AWESOME, remember the good times!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    The funny thing is that the band leader made a new arrangement of our closing medley that gave me the last solo of the night. My first time out it was so low. Better luck next time.

Those traditional marches have given me a little bit of a fit this time around. We never played any of those in high school. I am just now getting to where I can pick up on those quickly.

4. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    xjb...who hasent turned in a subpar perormance at some point? Look ahead to the next one and redeem yourself. Dont be so hard on yourself, remember that they cheered and no one seemed to know that you were shaken. Put it behind you and move on, ya big baby! OPS, sorry. I ment that in a good way. Best wishes.

5. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    I'm cool with this one. I know what to do to fix it. Look away from the girl in the white dress.

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Not sure I would do this. First look at the key, then the girl in the white dress... then play to her... thinking of nothing but her... I am certain; this would warm up your performance. The best performance is all about passion. And you are so right; this is a state of mind.

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    What is the wrong key? - when the band does not find the trumpeter.

Seriously, DISTRACTION could be INSPIRATION. Dedicate the next ballad to a beautiful person that you have seen but never met............. I wouldn't mention the dress color on stage - never know what might happen next.....

By the way, her name was Karen and you DON'T want to know why SHE was there..........

8. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    Rowuk does have a sense of humor!

9. odd67ar

odd67ar Pianissimo User

Apr 30, 2010
    Oslo, Norway
    That with the lady dressed in white,Something simular happened to me some years ago.I got eye contact from the stage and started some kind of eye flirting.
    However eventually I jumped down from the stage an dansed with her,with the trumpet under my arm.
    By the way we´ve been married for twelwe years now

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I can only hope that in those 12 years, you have finally removed that trumpet from under your arms. What a great story.