Distraction

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by xjb0906, May 12, 2012.

1. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC

2. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    I'm my own worst critic, I put way too much pressure on myself when playing in public. if I could learn to relax and play like I do when practicing it would be a better life. was playing a solo with a singer when playing South Pacific and got a case of the "nerves" when I noticed a man staring at me during the whole show. was going to ask him why during intermission but the director talked to him instead. got back from break just in time to start the overture and the same guy was staring at me again. after the show I went to confront the guy but the director stopped me - it appears the man was blind and since I was in the center of the pit band he had his head pointed in my direction.

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    So does this mean as a married man you would jump down off the stage to dance with the horn under your arm, with a little lady that winks their eye at you? You may not be dead, but you do have a death wish. In memory of Lee Morgan.

4. fels

fels Piano User

Jun 8, 2008
    Colorado Springs
    I think distractions are great training.

I have played weddings where the photographer sets up directly in front of me in the balcony. I have played Easter and Christmas in balcony when it is overflowing and they cross in front of me while i am playing. Of course it bothers me. But in some way it relaxes me. Kind of an "Ah" moment. Just play the music. Reminds me of the time in a community band when i had a solo and became distracted - my entrance was two bars early. Oddly enough - it sounded fine. Once I figured out what was wrong i tried to adjust.

5. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    the trombone sectional leader told me -- "ah, don't worry - we are out in front -- we lead this parade, all we got to do is make SOME NOISE!!! Everybody loves to hear the trombone", he says -" just play loud, and move the slide some, HAVE SOME FUN--- AND DON'T finish the song late, that is the only advice you need -- if you finish late --- everyone will know!!!, but if you finish the song early --- just hold the trombone up, this if FUN ---NO ONE will ever know!!!!! -- hey no worries""

WOW -- advice -- right after that he says ---"THIS is so great -- he says, I am usually the only trombone, now I got you -- EXCEPT, I can't make it to 1 parade --- AND KEN you will be fine --- you will be the ONLY TROMBONE.

and that is the truth --- I suppose there is a lot of wisdom in that -- whatever instrument you play, do you best - AND TRY TO ENJOY IT --HAVE SOME FUN!!!!!!!

on the other side --- the trumpet sectional leader says -- "we need you on trumpet" -- everybody loves to hear the trumpets!!!!!!!!!!

6. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    Umm... No.

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Good, just making sure. You are now in the safe zone.

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    See, that IS a difference between trombone and trumpet... the trumpet is made to hold that late note out... In the words of Louis Solof, 4:02-4:

Blood, Sweat & Tears "Hi-De-Ho" - YouTube

That's what I'm talk'n 'bout!

9. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    YES -- I am trying to work out a deal -- with both section leaders --- whereby I play the trombone for a song, then switch and play the trumpet --- just working on the details of how to carry both horns while in a parade ----- I love being popular -- I just love being ME -- ROFL ROFL ROFL