DIY - bach long stop rod

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jcstites, May 27, 2006.

1. jcstites

jcstites Mezzo Forte User

Jun 1, 2005
    Tallahassee, FL
    I was tired of having my fishing string break and did not want to pay $20 for a little piece of metal online. So I went to Lowes and got what i thought would work, and it worked!

All that is needed - one - "4-40 Threaded Rod, 6 inches."

You will need to cut the rod after measuring with it on the horn. I just used a wire stripper to hold it, and bent it until it snapped (didnt take much). Maybe a hacksaw or something similar would work better?

The stock bach nuts will fit, but will be a little loose. You can buy whatever nuts you want , or use the stock ones. I just put some teflon tape on the end and the stock ones work great.

You will need to bend the rod a little until the slide moves freely.

This is for all you cheap people (like me). I just did it, and am happy so far.

Total cost - $1 :D

2. Rimshot

Rimshot Pianissimo User

Feb 14, 2005
    Atlanta
    Outstanding. But what is silver plating going to set you back? :-)

3. jcstites

jcstites Mezzo Forte User

Jun 1, 2005
    Tallahassee, FL
    I don't plan on plating it. It already looks silver.

4. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Forte User

Oct 11, 2004
    Farnham (a place too smal
    When mine broke off, I just used string.

5. cornetguy

cornetguy Mezzo Forte User

Sep 12, 2005
    Saint Paul, MN
    when mine broke i had a screw stop put on. i wonder why bach won't put that on the bb's or at least have it as an option. i hate the stop rod assembly.

6. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    The stop rod is good for students: it allows them to "set" the length of slide extension needed for that pesky C#. I hated the one on my Bach too (until I sold the horn, then I stopped hating it!)

7. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    If it ever happens to me, I'll just have a friend of mine make me a new one on his lathe, and then I'll have him silver plate it if I'm really into how it looks...of course I don't play my Strad anymore so I don't anticipate breaking the stop rod any time soon.

8. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    The 4-40 threaded rod feels loose because is is loose. Bach uses 5-40 (or in the non US English System 1/8 x 40). The difference in diameter is 0.013 inches and the thread will hold by only a couple of thou. Teflon can certainly build it up.

The rod from Lowes looks silver because it is steel. Unfortunately steel rusts, which is one of the reasons it it not generally used on brass instruments. Nickel Silver (which is a high nickel brass alloy containing zero silver) is the metal of choice for this type of component.

I have never charged more than $3 for the Bach part, often I just throw it in as part of a repair.

$20! :evil: