Diy recipe for slide grease

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by fuzzyhaze, Feb 24, 2010.

1. fuzzyhaze

fuzzyhaze Mezzo Piano User

Nov 22, 2009
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne UK
    This is my solution for tuning slides that slide out when you're playing, it's cheaper than getting a repair man to fix the slide. It isn't meant to be used on the 1st or 3rd slide. Get some pure beeswax and petroleum jelly and slowly melt them in a saucepan, do not boil, allow to cool down and check for viscosity. You are looking for something that is stiffer than the slide grease you're already using. Sorry there are no precise measures but I figure you can work it out, make small amounts at first till you're satisfied with the result. The stiffest it can be is the consistency of the beeswax, you don't want that, you might get a fright when you adjust the main tuning slide and think that it is stuck. By diluting with petroleum jelly you are making it less sticky and the slide will move but only when you want it to. It does no damage at all to the brass and cleans off with warm soapy water. I hope this may be of use to someone.

2. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Sounds like a winner. I'm sure it will help someone. There are frequent posts regarding slides that slide (too easily) or leak due to loose fit. This should help those situations.

3. guyclark

guyclark Piano User

Feb 28, 2008
    Los Gatos, CA
    Schilke slide grease appears to be primarily a mixture of anhydrous lanolin and petroleum jelly (vaselline). I've made my own from these components and while not >exactly< like the real Schilke stuff, it's close enough and it was A LOT cheaper!!

Guy

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I like fresh violist blood. It keeps the conductors on their toes.

5. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.

Cheaper and easier yet is the same formulation called Bag Balm. I got my buddy Dave Rafferty started on it and he has yet to change away from it.

OLDLOU>>

6. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Thanks Fuzzyhaze!
    I'll be checking this out today. I noticed you said to not use it on slides 1 & 3.
    Here's what I use on those slides and it works like a charm. If you have a friend that works at a garage, you can get it for free.
    Just give them an empty valve oil bottle and ask them to fill it with transmission fluid. Its red and a little dab will do ya.

7. Ed Kennedy

Ed Kennedy Forte User

Nov 18, 2006
    Make that AMBER petrolium jelly and the ratio 50-50 and you have it. If you want it stiffer, increase the ratio of lanolin. (We used to measure it out by weight, dump it in a coffee urn with the spout on the bottom, let it melt and then start filling the little cups from the spout. This was an entry level job.);-)

8. Ed Kennedy

Ed Kennedy Forte User

Nov 18, 2006
    Be careful, it may be toxic. It does, however, make a great penetrating oil to use on stuck slides. It can take the heat of a torch used for sweating it in.

9. guyclark

guyclark Piano User

Feb 28, 2008
    Los Gatos, CA
    Hi, Ed!

So you used to work there? Cool!

I'm glad to know that my home lab analysis of the stuff was close! I may make a new batch with the 50/50 ratio (I don't remember what I did the last time) as I'm begining to run out (fifteen years or so later!):lol:

I loved going to the old shop on Wabash Ave on Saturday afternoons after my youth orchestra rehearsals. I had a couple of hours to burn before my train back to the suburbs left, and I either hung out at the camera stores on Wabash or on the 8th floor of 529 S. Wabash (etched in my brain, even after all these years!) Mr. Schilke seemed to be genuinely interested in my playing and early engineering skills. He told me once to give up my pre-med focus, and get a mechanical engineering degree and come work for him! He was a good ol' guy! :thumbsup: Much missed!

Guy

10. guyclark

guyclark Piano User

Feb 28, 2008
    Los Gatos, CA
    Hi, Markie!

I'd be afraid of getting colored stuff like that on my clothes! All of my white tux shirts have stains from the oil or grease from my horns! :roll:
    Red would really stick out, I'm afraid! (maybe I'm just a klutz! :oops: )

Does transmission fluid wash out?

Guy