Dizzy from Upper Register

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trmpt_plyr, Aug 25, 2009.

1. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    What I mean by too much air, is trying to take in too big a breath causing hyperventilation ,and then trying to force it all out at once,a good rule to remember is whatever note your playing, always keep something in reserve as if you were going to go up another 4th or 5th. Basically what I'm saying is that headaches and blackouts are caused by improper breathing techniques ,and too much mouthpiece pressure.

gbdeamer likes this.
  2. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    +1 green point to your name for hitting the nail on the head.

If you pass out, you're doing it wrong...

3. dpritchett

dpritchett New Friend

Aug 26, 2009
    OH,CANADA...eh!
    When I was younger I played soprano in a youth brass band, sometimes I experienced the same problem. Most of the time it's because I was trying to hard to hit the high notes and my chops couldn't handle it. I was over blowing. The remedy is of course
    more practice to strengthen your upper register so you dont have to blow so hard.

4. trumpetman1989

trumpetman1989 New Friend

Oct 6, 2009
    Eugene, OR 97404
    LOL bone!

And I have this problem too. The best thing that works for me since I can't seem to afford a teacher at the moment is that I have a can of Diet Mtn Dew. I clean my horn a lot, but i drink a can of it before I practice and then wash my mouth with water so I don't have to clean my horn AS often. Also, reg Mtn Dew would be too sugary for my horn...