Dizzy horn on ebay

Discussion in 'Vintage Trumpets / Cornets' started by PhatmonB6, Feb 13, 2005.

1. PhatmonB6

PhatmonB6 Mezzo Piano User

Jan 16, 2005
    Minnesota
  2. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
  3. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Did you look at any of the other items from that seller? Original music manuscripts, Charlie Parker's Grammy award, 3 drums from one of Buddy Rich's drum kit's that was played in the 70s, some of Miles Davis' original works of art...all kinds of stuff.

It's almost sacrilegious to auction that stuff.

4. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003

i tend to agree, but you can only assume that the family of those guys are the ones putting up for sale.

5. Lazorphaze

Lazorphaze Piano User

Feb 3, 2004
    that is sad. that person is auctioning (basically) the whole life of these jazz giants. :x

6. JackD

JackD Mezzo Forte User

Nov 30, 2003
    Manchester / London
    They're selling a Clark Terry Bach 43 - with 2 finger hooks - what's that, TWO octave keys?! ;-)

7. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Hmm... looks like the seller has had an "issue" with a buyer in the past. Amazing how one sour deal will queer someone's feedback rating!

Those items should be in a museum... question is... WHICH or WHO'S museum? Maybe an auction is the best way to determine that.

8. dcstep

dcstep Mezzo Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    Denver
    Despite the auctioneer's errors (the black and white picture is Dizzy with another trumpet, not this one) and ignorance, this apparently was a gift to Dizzy that he actually enjoyed playing and used professionally. Geri Allen, wife of Wallace Roney, surfaced on www.trumpetherald.com to tell the story and quickly got inundated with questions (kind of as if she were the seller, she's not) so she picked up and left. Still, she left a very informative anecdote before she left.

Anyone actually considering bidding should check out Geri's post and use it to validate the provenance of this trumpet.

Dave

9. Rick Chartrand

Rick Chartrand Piano User

Nov 22, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Hey...

If anyone did have Dizzy Gillespies horn that he actaully played and are auctioning it, they are in my opinion a complete retard! If that was my horn I wouldnt sell it for a million dollars...litterally. What kind of a MORON would sell a piece of history like that? It should be illegal for one individual to own something like that, and this instrument should be in the posession of a Musium on display for all to enjoy. This is almost as stupid as saying some one should be able to privately own the US decloration of independance. My take is that no one would so the auction is probably phoney. If its not phoney it shows that America is in a sad state of moral disintegration, but then again look at all the filth and vulgarity that is now mainstream because of garbage called RAP music.

Rick AKA Trumpet Man :x

10. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Rick, go back and take a look at Guernsey's website. Nope, this is not a con job, the firm has the history to back it up.

McGwire's 70th HR baseball went for $3 MIL! Two of Garcia's guitars at $959,000 and $789,000. Based on the link to Ebay (which is still working) the trumpet only got $27,000. Sure, Jerry Garcia was a great guitarist. But was he any more of a musician than Dizzy?; the crime is that Dizzy's trumpet got so little when compared with other "artifacts".

Gentleman to lady "Would you sleep with me for $1,000,000?"

She, "Yes, I think so".

He, "Well, would you sleep with me for $1.00?"

She, "What do you think I am?"

He, "We've established that, now we are negotiating the price".