Dizzy Reece

Discussion in 'Jazz / Commercial' started by wiseone2, Feb 9, 2005.

1. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
  2. talcito

talcito Piano User

Feb 18, 2004
    Thats great news!

About 8 years ago I purchased a method book he wrote "Basic Rhythm and Blues". He advocates playing bass lines to jazz tunes to get the progressions "in your ear" as well as to develop longer "lines".

In the book he takes the bass lines thru all the keys in the "blues" and "rythm Changes".

Jazz piano great Lennie Tristano used to advocate this system of practising as well.

I had posted about his book on another site and no one seemed to know of it, but a few players expressed an interest in purchasing it. Upon further research we learned the book is out of print.

Hopefully, with his website, those interested in the book may be able to get it directly from him!

I heard a few recordings he was on and it always surprised me why so little is known or talked about him in the trumpet community. I guess there were just too many great players back in the time he was at his peak.

3. Erol Tamerman

Erol Tamerman New Friend

Jul 23, 2004
    New York City
    Blue issued a recording that had not been released after it's recording. Dizzy REese, Woody Shaw and Joe Farrell are on it..It's quite a find, and Dizzy is wonderful on it.