Dizzying a horn

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by codyb226, Apr 29, 2012.

1. LiquidSean

LiquidSean Pianissimo User

Nov 7, 2010
    Virginia
    I'd say if you get the Bundy, polish it up and resell it over the summer to a local beginner trumpet player for a profit. And then use that money toward a used Getzen Eterna 900H or something similar (Great trumpet, by the way).

In the end, a Bundy with an upturned bell is still a Bundy. I don't see the point of spending a good amount of money on this, but to each their own.

2. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US

Well, I have my professional trumpet, a monette mp, and a student trumpet for marching. So I see your point, but I dont want to mess with my pro horn and my student horn plays pretty good. I have not played that getzen model, but I think that a upturned bell would be great. A bundy is the best horn to do it too, cheap and worth next to nothing.

But if I were to sell it, what would this cost???

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    If the Bundy ends up being really cool, you will need a case for it.

For those thinking about doing this themself:

Freezing soapy water needs much lower temperatures than a typical domestic fridge/freezer can reach
    Pitch and lead can explode if you heat the middle of where it is in the bell first - you do not want to be anywhere near the horn if this happens
    The Harriot configuration can be done without bending tools. The bow of the bell can be opened like this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skP_L6t6Ugo

4. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I get the wanting to have the novelty of a bent-up bell. My gut is you will wind up with a horn you won't play and then won't be able to sell.
    Rowuk and the case issue is a real good point.
    Sell a few horns and save up for one that has a prayer of being played or sold off if you hate it.
    here's a good saying about patience
    Patient people eventually receive all things.

5. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    I used to own a Leblanc Herriot model trumpet. Then one day I backed over the case (empty, thank goodness.) I was able to glue in some styrafoam (sp) pieces in a triple case by Bach that I was given. You are looking at 50-60.00 (WORST case scenario) to modify a case for your needs.

6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Really, save your money and find a Getzen 900H or A Herriot LeBlanc (Blessing also made a tilted bell but I've only seen one on e-Bay). Usually go for $400-600. Of course, your Yammie may get lonely and start collecting a lot of dust. ;-)

7. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    I have done a similar mod on several trumpets. Not so many times like the Dizzy, with the bell bent up from the valve casing, but more often in a similar style to the Getzen 900H (bent upward from the bell bow - or, if you like, bent less than a standard trumpet).

Be aware that both of these mods have a big effect on the left hand holding position; there is no longer a bell to rest on the first joint of your left hand index finger. You will have to grasp the horn tightly, which can make playing rather more tiring. I can install "hooks" to help locate your left hand, like Schilke do on their C Piccolo, but these, like everything, will affect the playing. Also, be very careful that there is no undue wear from previous player's hands at that same point - the metal could be worn very thin. This is the reason that I have preferred the 900H style as an aftermarket mod.

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    If someone damaged my Martin's bell, I'd be bent!

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    The difference as I see it:

BUNDY

Versus

B
    BU
    BUNDY

10. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    You could always look for one of the intermediate Jupiter horns with the interchangeable bell system--1 is straight, the other is bent. They've been around quite a while, so while they're not common there should be some used ones out there.