Dizzying a horn

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by codyb226, Apr 29, 2012.

1. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    Sounds like a good idea. I got an email back for DQ custom and he said in the market of $300. Yeah, that wont happen for a bundy...

Also, my Yamaha will never collect dust, I promise you that. ;-)

How much does the 900H usually go for?

2. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    I dont think that will be a problem, I dont rest the horn on my hand. I put my first two fingers on the valve block, my ring finger in the ring, and my pinky below the 3rd valve slide so it rests on that.

3. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    I believe that the 900H is probably the BEST trumpet ever discontinued. I understand that Getzen sold many of these to marching bands; they were probably not considered cool for real music:cool:

tobylou8 likes this.
  4. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    Yes, that is exactly what I see too.

5. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    Yeah, they are cool. I am looking at ebay right now.

6. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    Also, about the case. I would just leave it on my trumpet stand at my house. No need to take it to preform, its a bundy.... I can see having it off to one side of the stage when I am playing in the jazz band. Go get it for a solo or whatever, but I see no use for this in a concert setting.

7. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    I bought my 900H for $500 when I was in high school. I got it directly from Bobby Herriott's personal collection though, because he lives near me.

How much lacquer does your horn have? The lacquer would need to be striped on the bell to put pitch in it.
    I would be willing to 'Dizzy' your horn if you want to send it up to me but under the conditions that 1. I have never 'Dizzy'd' a horn. 2. I haven't used pitch yet in my career (although I have plenty.) 3. You would have to pay shipping both ways, and take in to account the new dimensions of the horn. This means that your current case (or any case other than the Getzen one) won't fit it. 4. I would be doing this in my free time, so it may not happen right away. 5. The horn may or may not play better afterwards.

I am a brass repair tech. I would most easily be able to do it Herriott style, but I could attempt a Dizzy style if I built a jig. If I did a Herriott style I would also build a long brace to connect the bell to the 3rd valve for support, and modify the rear Z brace to fit the new angle.
    Of course, I would take plenty of pictures to post on TM.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
    NotCody likes this.
  8. LiquidSean

LiquidSean Pianissimo User

Nov 7, 2010
    Virginia
    Just out of curiosity, why did Cody get banned?

9. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    is young Cody banned? I can't believe that -- why would anybody ban such an enterprising young lad --- just because he reads a lot about horns, and wants to contribute to this site.???? I mean that would be like a violation of the first amendment or something wouldn't it???? NO -- I can't believe he is banned. But then again not everyone in the world is FREE to express their opinions -- so sad, how very sad -- that banning would happen on TM --- no I don't believe that!!!!!

10. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Well, I guess I can't help him then.