Dizzying a horn

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by codyb226, Apr 29, 2012.

1. Rusty_Restorer

Rusty_Restorer Pianissimo User

Feb 24, 2012
    Atlanta
    Thanks that answers my question about a Bundy. I will avoid them then. I enjoy my Ambassadors. The raw brass 58' has a different tone than the 69' with an epox-o-enamel finish. I would not want to Dizzy them. I would think maybe a frank-in-horn approach would be better. Have seen Rich Ita's shop with lots of bells hanging from the ceiling, that would be my choice to start a Dizzy type horn. I like the Dizzy look rather than the horn that started upward at the back bend.

2. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Disagree.
    I have played some real nice Bundys - early and late ones. And have had fun improving some as well.

3. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I am with Ivan on the Bundy quality. A lady brought her son over to my house to look at a Old's Super Star ( he wanted a silver horn) .. the reverse slides created a little problem for him... so he passed on it. He had brought his Bundy along with him so I checked it out. The kids eyes lit up when he heard me play it... I told them that really was a nice playing horn. So they decided to wait on buying a "silver trumpet". Last time I checked he was still playing it... perfect for Jr high.

4. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    An Ambassador is NOWHERE near a pro level horn. Other than being many people's first horns, I don't get the Ambassador fanaticism. They are built well, but any student Yamaha plays circles around them.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Hey Brek,

the Ambassador image keeps the ebay resell high. That is the only reason that I can imagine. I have never played one that I really just HAD to own. I do agree with the 2xxx Yamaha playing better though.

6. Rusty_Restorer

Feb 24, 2012
    Atlanta
    I think there are a lot of Ambassadors out there. They are rugged. I lived in New Orleans for a year and heard them quite often there. That got me curious about them. The people in NOLA like to party and have live music. I think several website promote them as an alternate student horn you can get for a buck 50 ($150). There are tons of parts to keep um'playing. So what is not to like? See below link: Student trumpets A Yammie student horn the Yamaha YTR-2335 runs for $1,071 new and from $299 used see this link. Amazon.com: Yamaha YTR-2335 Bb Trumpet: Musical Instruments We are in a mini depression - or at least it feels like that to me. So I don't see many parents wanting to drop a grand on a "student horn". It may play circles around an Ambassador but it is 1 tenth the price. And as a real estate friend who is broke says - Price sells. So is it fanaticism or practicality about the Ambassador horns?

7. Rusty_Restorer

Feb 24, 2012
    Atlanta
    I figure once I get better as a player - I will search out a better horn than my Ambassadors. Since Rich Ita has tweeted some of them, and I have cleaned these estate sale ladies or former band instruments up - I figure I will most likely flip them on e-bay or craigs list. Maybe I will make a profit - maybe I will just get my money back. Again - I got into the Ambassadors at 10% the price of a new 2xxx Yamaha horn. Hey maybe I will Dizzy one just for fun, build a custom case for it and sell it and get a pro level horn. Right now I can scare the deer away from my vineyard with um. So they are a win-win for me.

8. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    My take is the Yamaha 2xxx are pretty brilliant but the Ambassador had a full sound. If I was playing a classical piece I would take the Yammy .. jazz combo ..Ambassador hands down.

9. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    just thought I would add this thought ---- Dizzy-ing a horn would send the vibrations up (and as someone suggested) it would be easier to hear the notes, as the bell is closer to you and your ears --vs. a regular trumpet which only the woodwinds in front of the trumpet section hear. What if someone did a "Reverse Dizzy" -- having the bell point toward the floor ----- would that soften the tone of the horn, and also provide feedback by reflecting the sound off the floor????

I am just saying -- I find that practicing towards a wall, or with the music stand very close -- provides feedback for me ----so a "reverse Dizzy" might be more practicle for a lot of people

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I do agree with your Ambassador assessment... A good example is our own TrumpetMD playing this tune at a DC gig on his Olds Ambassador. LOVE THIS SOUND!

Not 2 Cool Jazz - You Don't Know What Love Is - Feb 19, 2012 - YouTube!