Do bach stradivarius trumpets increase in value over time?

Discussion in 'Horns' started by HereticMarauder, Dec 12, 2016.

What should I do

1. Should I re-silver and get the dents out

50.0%
  2. How much is it worth

50.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. HereticMarauder

HereticMarauder New Friend

Dec 12, 2016
    I have a bach stradivarius trumpet model 43, it has a few dents and the silver plating is worn down to the brass(because it was used alot). Its about 50 years old and I'm wondering how much its worth and also if I should get it re-silvered and get the dents out. Its a Elkhart stradivarius. Thank you everyone for helping!!!

2. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Of course, a lot depends on the amount of wear. Critical would be if the valves still have good compression. A small amount of silver loss isnt a big deal, but price tends to drop quickly, the more bass that shows. As far as replating- it wouldnt be worth it unless you plan to keep it yourself. Dent removal, especially on the bell is usually a good idea.

Typical Bach with a little silver wear would be in the $800 to $1200 range.

3. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Great answer by Steve.

One additional factor is the horn's origin. If it's 50 years old, it's an early Elkhart. If it's 2 years older, it might be a Mt. Vernon, which could add to it's value.

Building on Steve's assessment of the horn's value, I purchased a 1965 Bach Strad last year (an early Elkhart). It's in very good condition, with case. I paid $900 for it. BTW, gmonday (Gary) and trickg (Patrick) both got to play this horn last week, when we got together in the DC area for a mini-hang.

Mike

4. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    An early Elkhart Strad (sn below 50,000) is worth more than a horn even a year later. Check eBay for the current selling price (not asking price) to determine the current value. A good rebuild, including valves is probably going to cost you +/- $1600 by a top tech. Are you planning to sell it or keep it?

5. HereticMarauder

Dec 12, 2016
    I would like to keep my trumpet but would it be cheaper to get a new horn instead of reparing the old one

6. HereticMarauder

Dec 12, 2016
    Where did u get your trumpet it might be a good idea to expand my collection

7. SteveRicks

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    just curious, how do you arrive at that? Dent removal is probably in the $60-120 range unless a major problem. What else do you need? Horn should play just as good, even if there is a little silver wear. Typical on many pro's horns. Why do yoi think you need to buy a new horn? Check out my signature list. All,play just as good as a brand new horn.

8. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Does it need to be repaired? You talk about dents and silver plate wear. But neither of these necessarily need to be repaired.

In addition, there are other considerations, outside the condition of the horn. Are you the original owner? Does the horn have sentimental value?

Do you have a good tech who can look at the horn and help you answer this question? If not, maybe tell us what town you're in, and someone might be able to suggest a nearby reputable tech.

Mike

9. HereticMarauder

Dec 12, 2016
    I have never re silvered my horn before so im not sure how expensive it would be to do that

10. SteveRicks

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Okay. You have completely lost me. Is there a reason your Bach will not play? why do you think it needs repairing? The age of your horn puts it in the "highly desirable" category of Strads. Silver wear and a few dents shouldnt affect playability. Why do you think you need a different horn.