Do Band!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Blazing Asian, Feb 22, 2008.

1. Blazing Asian

Blazing Asian Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2006
    How can I convince my younger brother to go into band instead of orchestra? He has a decent start on the cornet and I know he could do wonders on any brass instrument (or woodwind for the matter!). He has his mind set up on going to orchestra...how can I change this? What influenced you? :dontknow:

2. commakozzi

commakozzi Pianissimo User

Oct 30, 2007
    Georgia, USA
    I don't understand... what's wrong with going into the orchestra? If we had a decent orchestra when I was in school and you had to choose one or the other, I certainly would have chosen orchestra. Do you mean that he wants to play a string instrument?

3. Jude

Jude Piano User

Dec 2, 2007
    As one who remembers freezing various parts of one's anatomy off playing for football games in November in New England, I've got to congratulate your younger brother on his common sense. And why couldn't he play brass or a woodwind in orchestra?

4. misty.sj

misty.sj Forte User

Jan 27, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
    We didn't get to / have to choose. I was in marching band, concert band, jazz band, pep band, drama pit orchestra. I was also in honors chorus. Three out of four years in high school I took chorus during my lunch period, and ate my lunch in between classes. If it was musical, I was in it!

5. Jude

Jude Piano User

Dec 2, 2007
    !

No wonder that group was glad to get you. (How's it going?)

6. misty.sj

misty.sj Forte User

Jan 27, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hi Jude!

It's going OK. I think I'm going to post about it at some point. I have a natural competitive tendency and it makes me judge everybody and judge myself against them. It's weird. I'm trying to squelch it. Put it this way -- the community group is not on the same level that my high school band was at, and is certainly not on hte level of the groups I played with in college. But it's fun and it will sound nice when all the music comes together. And I'm hoping that I will find other smaller ensembles to participate in, through the bigger group. :)

One of the trumpet players is really good and gives me something to shoot for!

7. flugelgirl

flugelgirl Forte User

Jan 20, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    B.A., let your brother go where his heart tells him to! I played in band and orchestra growing up - I had to travel to participate in the local youth orchestra, and though I enjoyed it, I have always been a jazzer at heart. If he has the chance to do both, great, but if not, it's his choice to make. Let him choose his own road - it's not up to you, and even though you're his brother, that doesn't mean you want the same things! If he plays in orchestra, go to his concerts and support him, and he'll think you're the best brother in the world.

8. Blazing Asian

Blazing Asian Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2006
    The orchestra here is strictly strings.

9. misty.sj

misty.sj Forte User

Jan 27, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
    So he plays a stringed instrument and trumpet? Or what? I say let him choose what he feels like he is the best at!

10. Bourbon City

Bourbon City Pianissimo User

Jun 8, 2004
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Is there a problem with doing both? Is this High School or College? If is High School and the school is large enough to have both Orchestra and Band, it likely has two directors. Hopefully they would meet at different times of the day.

I play trumpet in the orchestra and euphonium in band.

The band is great, but I love the orchestra.