do braces effect trumpet playing?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by CornetBoy, Mar 23, 2013.

1. CornetBoy

CornetBoy Pianissimo User

Sep 21, 2012
    I was just wondering becuase i might be getting braces.

2. mush-mouth

mush-mouth Pianissimo User

Aug 3, 2009
    Yes it will affect trumpet playing but probably only temporarily. I remember it was pretty easy to get used to them except for the day or two after having them tightened when my teeth would be too sore to play.

Overall it didn't really make playing any more difficult (or easy for that matter), just a little different.

3. Ian000450

Ian000450 Pianissimo User

Aug 28, 2009
    Oklahoma, USA
    I got my braces on in July of 2012, so I used Marching season to help bring back my chops. As a result, my range came back very quickly (marching lead) and my range actually increased :dontknow:

For me, tone got harsher, slurs and flexibility got worse, and, because of how my teeth are, I was forced to have "bite turbos" put on the back of my front teeth so articulation suffered.

That was then. Nearly everything has come back, maybe not as completely strong but fairly well.

4. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    I did not need braces, but people I knew who did said that it cured them of using excessive mouthpiece pressure.

5. Ian000450

Ian000450 Pianissimo User

Aug 28, 2009
    Oklahoma, USA
    It has definitely made me more aware of this. Mouthpiece pressure and places of resistance have become much more conscious effects of playing for me.

6. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    If you look for prior posts you will find that there is actually quite a lot about braces.

7. chenzo

chenzo Piano User

Jul 18, 2008
    Aust
    I have never had this issue but have noticed this ....
    cannot say how good or bad but might be worth checking out.

Mouthpiece Patches, Teeth Cushions and Lip Tonic

This is an English site but Iam sure you would find something locally

good luck