Do I have the right chops for trumpet?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by nchsbandrocks10, Sep 21, 2010.

1. nchsbandrocks10

nchsbandrocks10 New Friend

Feb 27, 2009
    Reno, NV
    I've never really had a great range on trumpet. I started playing in 6th grade and I'm now a freshman at college. I'm in the marching band and I love it, like always. But I've recently been wondering about my range and if my chops are right for trumpet. I can hit a G consistently on good days. As in, the G right above the staff. I've been taking private lessons since I started trumpet and range has always been an issue we worked on. But now, since I moved 1,000 miles away, I don't take lessons anymore.
    I was talking with the marching band grad assistant and he was telling me how some people might not have trumpet chops, but low brass chops. Ever since he said that, I've been wondering if maybe I have low brass chops. I think about it, and I really do love playing trumpet, having the melody and stuff, but I would really like to play something that I have more of the chops for. I've invested so much money into trumpets [I own 2]. What do you guys think? Should I try low brass or stick to trumpet? I would like honest opinions with suggestions, please and thank you. :D

2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    What size is your current trumpet mouthpiece?

3. nchsbandrocks10

Feb 27, 2009
    Reno, NV
    3C

4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Bach?

5. nchsbandrocks10

Feb 27, 2009
    Reno, NV
    well, it's a bach equivalent. it's made by a local music store. it's the exact same as a bach but much cheaper.

6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Check out this site. Good info on matching lips to mpc.
    New Page 1

Controversial? Yes. Good info? Yes.

7. nchsbandrocks10

Feb 27, 2009
    Reno, NV
    so you're saying i'm using the wrong mouthpiece?

8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    [
    Well you generally get what you pay for. IF this is the only size you have ever used you might want to CAREFULLY consider a change. I was in the same situation at your age. I had the wrong mpc! The proper mpc is the one that enables you to be your best and your doesn't sound like it is it.

9. jackwindcrest

jackwindcrest New Friend

Mar 12, 2010
    San Antonio
    i had the same issues in Junior High School many years ago and moved to Baritone which uses the same fingerings (treble clef). I played Baritone all the way through high school, college and grad school. It paid about 1/3 of my tuition. About 8 yrs ago, I wondered if I could actually play trumpet and rented one. It had to much resistance for me but I worked on it for a few months and then returned it and bought a cornet on Ebay. I have been playing cornet and now trumpet pretty exclusively since. I had good range on Baritone (up to the high D above the staff and occasionally even the E above the staff). I was able to reach that same high D without too many months' practice and now have a reliable E. I guess many folks will have similar stories. I'm not sure there really are low or high brass chops. I currently play 2nd trumpet in my Alumni Band and my range is acceptable. 4th trumpet in my world goes about the high G. Tone and sound is really more important than range. Listen to Bobby Hackett on U-Tube. He rarely goes higher and is a great player.

10. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    possibly.