Do I need a new horn?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by kimisizer, Sep 18, 2011.

1. kimisizer

kimisizer New Friend

Apr 6, 2011
    Hello, I am currently a senior in HS and have been using the same horn for the last 8 years or so. It is a Bach TR300 student model and now it is showing signs of wear - it is going through some massive dezincification especially where my fingers are. Not only that but I always feel like the sound produced is much better sounding on another non-student model horn. Now, I was never a good trumpeter (to my standards) until the last couple of years when I really began to be consistent on high notes and endurance. I can now hit the high C (with some pressure) and go through a band class without getting a tired (this is actually a big accomplishment for me). Now I used the default Bach 7C mouthpiece until last year when I switched to a Faxx 5C, which I think helped me get a broader sound. The problem I am having is that will getting a new horn improve my sound or ease my playing in anyway? Because I always feel like I need to work twice as hard as the person next to me to do something. Also would a change in mouthpiece help at all too? All suggestions would be appreciated.

2. Branson

Branson Piano User

Jan 16, 2011
    Go to you local band instrument store with your current horn and plan on spending some time comparing the different horns to yours. If you feel a difference playing the new horns, it might be time to start saving your money. Many times a player’s attitude will make a big difference on which instrument is your friend and which one is not.

3. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    Only you can answer your own question. And it sounds like you already have. Once you've recognized that your horn is holding you back, it's time for a new horn. The question is how much use will it get since you are a senior in high school. Are you going to play in college? Are you going to continue playing as an adult--church, community band, etc.? No matter what the answer only you can determine which horn to buy and how much to pay. Since you've already played some other horns, which one(s) do you like the best? Head off to every music store that sells trumpets and play everything they have. Don't overlook used and classic horns--they can be great horns and great bargains. Find the horn you fall in love with and buy it. After you've graduated you can go about making sure you have the right mouthpiece for it. Good luck and have fun.

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I can give you a definite ABSOLUTE answer to your questions. Are you ready... here it is... MAYBE. Improving your sound has some variables. I am a firm believer that there is ONLY ONE unique mouthpiece for every horn. A single mouthpiece that opens up an individual horn to the fullest sound possible. So if you get a pro model horn and you have the wrong mouthpiece, you may not get as good of sound as the one you already have. A corollary to this answer is that you may not have yet found the optimal mouthpiece for your current horn, and may actually be able to improve on that sound for just $40 as compared to the $800+ price you will likely pay for a pro model.

Additionally, the second component to your question "ease the playing" may be a let down when you go to a pro horn. Pro horns may require you to achieve a higher level of control. Oh, the will sing for you when you achieve this, but you will likely need to work a little harder to get there.

5. kimisizer

kimisizer New Friend

Apr 6, 2011
    Thanks for all the feedback. Another thing I'm having trouble grasping is mouthpiece size - what exactly does it do? My band teacher told me that a bigger one produces a fuller sound so that is why I changed. Any suggestions on a new mouthpiece (model and size)?

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    First, give me the contact information for you band teacher, and I will write him a referral to a good proctologist to have his head extracted.

Second, there IS NO WAY someone can tell you the exact size and brand that will work for you. The only way to do this is to take you AND your horn that you want to use this mouthpiece on to a very USER FRIENDLY music store that will let you try out several brands and sizes of mouthpieces. Plan on making a day of it. It will be one of the most play enhancing experiences you will ever have. The only other MOST play enhancing experience that even comes close is playing "ohne mit" in front of Jennefer Aniston, right VB?

Last edited: Sep 18, 2011
    Vulgano Brother likes this.
  7. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Kimisizer, your question about mouthpiece size will produce answers all over the map. It's like asking "what brand shoe and size should I wear?" Remember that Cinderella got her glass slippers from her fairy godmother, and beware of "Prince Charming" trying to convince you the one he has is a perfect fit.

Good luck!

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    VB you are the man! Your advice is right on and you made this point crystal clear!

9. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    If you're a senior in high school and plan on continuing playing ,it might be time to move up to a better horn.Try your friend's trumpets,go to a music store and try what they have in stock, just remember play before you pay. Bring a friend to listen to you and ask him how you sound.

Don't try changing mouthpieces while trying new horns,too many new things. If something dosen't feel right after the honeymoon period,you will have a difficult time telling which has stopped working for you.

10. duanemassey

duanemassey Piano User

Jul 14, 2009
    Houston
    Where are you located?