do i need a teacher?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by joooooooooooooooooes, Nov 8, 2006.

1. joooooooooooooooooes

joooooooooooooooooes New Friend

Nov 4, 2006
    just started playing trumpet. so do i need a teacher or not because i want the challenge of teaching myself and the trumpet teacher near me is expensive. i really want to learn so is it worth it?

2. westview1900

westview1900 Piano User

Nov 30, 2005
    If you can afford it, I say get a teacher. He or She will be able to help you learn faster.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Please get a teacher! Anything that you do wrong at the beginning will haunt you for years to come(if not forever).
    Of course it is possible to teach yourself, not knowing what you are doing means you probably will not be able to pick what is good for you.
    I believe the first year is the most critical. If you develop good habits in that time, you will have a lot more fun during the rest of your life!

4. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    Yes.

5. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Forte User

Oct 11, 2004
    Farnham (a place too smal
    Agreed.

6. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    You get what you pay for.

ML

7. Eclipsehornplayer

Eclipsehornplayer Forte User

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    I agree with everyone else no question! However, we are not going to make that decision for you; only you can!

What you have to ask yourself is this. Do I want to just fool around and play very easy music and amaze my friends or do I want a solid education on this instrument in hopes of attaining some level of proficiency on it. If you answered the first; fine teach yourself and have fun!

If you answered the second; save a couple of dollars while teaching yourself and go see the teacher.

You mentioned you thought he was quite expensive. I guess I'd ask how much is he asking and what are his credentials? These two questions combined will let you know if he's overpriced or not. I'm going to guess that he's not but without that info I can't say for sure.

Just some food for thought; no matter what you do the choice is yours. I've been playing on and off for 26 years and I have a teacher so for me it was a clear cut choice. I want to be a better player with solid fundamentals and I knew to attain that level I'd need help. You must ask yourself the same thing and follow that conclusion where ever it may lead.

Good Luck!
    John

8. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Forte User

Oct 11, 2004
    Farnham (a place too smal
    This is a rare moment - I am going to openly disagree with Manny:-o

The best lessons I have had have not been the most expensive. I won't say who the most expensive was with, but the best were from Crispian - I paid for an hour, was there for 3 1/2 and he wouldn't accept a larger fee - I would have paid twice as much for half the time and I would have still had the best value lessons ever.

9. Liad Bar-EL

Liad Bar-EL Forte User

Oct 25, 2003
    Jerusalem, Israel
    No, you should not get a teacher.

You will then be the oldest person who would be able to create a fart with his lips like a five year old does with his butt. The only difference would be that you are able to hold a horn up to your face while doing this.

You might want to check Guinness to see if there is a category for this type of sound.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2006
  10. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Well, yes, you're right, Mike. My point was only that the money spent for a good teacher is usually well spent. But that's the trick, isn't it? Finding a good teacher.

The most expensive lessons I ever paid for were with Arnold Jacobs and they changed my life for the better.

ML

Last edited: Nov 10, 2006