do i need a teacher?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by joooooooooooooooooes, Nov 8, 2006.

1. patdublc

patdublc Pianissimo User

Jul 20, 2006
    Salisbury, MD
    Everybody - at all levels - should take advantage of a good teacher/mentor. I don't limit myself to trumpet teachers either. I take periodic jazz lessons from a piano player and work with vocalists on phrasing and overall musicality. This works well for me because learning to play musically goes far beyond "trumpet technique". It is often helpful to get advice from someone who isn't going to analyze your embouchure and gear.
    I'll probably be outcast for that last remark on a trumpet site!!!!!

PS - I study with a trumpet teacher as well. For me, I'm just seeking the proper balance to be a good overall musician.

2. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Good advice Pat...

One of the bone players in the swing band started taking lessons on improve from George Benson, a sax legend in Detroit. His improvising is really something to hear now and his overall trombone playing has improved dramatically.

-cw-

3. Dave

Dave Guest

Is this necessary?

4. Liad Bar-EL

Liad Bar-EL Forte User

Oct 25, 2003
    Jerusalem, Israel
    It seems as though you made it necessary to have repeated it a second time.
    Was it necessary for you to make a snide public comment instead of via PM?

5. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    So sad.......

-cw-

6. Liad Bar-EL

Liad Bar-EL Forte User

Oct 25, 2003
    Jerusalem, Israel
    What you lag is to add a warm down in your life to be a glad dad and not a sad nag otherwise you keep on the tag to nag like a mad fag with nothing to have had but only a bad gag.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2006
  7. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    Liad, that comment you made about the 5-year old was uncalled for. Sarcasm was not necessary. That's what Dave was trying to tell you.

It is very sad, indeed, that you felt the need to belittle someone asking for help. What has Chuck's warm-down needs or lack thereof have to do with someone needing a teacher?

This is completely counterproductive and destructive to the atmosphere we here should be trying to promote, especially to someone who is brave enough to come here asking people he does not even know personally for advice. Your post to him was sarcastic, demeaning and insulting. I am choosing to say this in public because you've shown in public a general lack of respect; it needs to be in the open that we do not condone or accept that in any way.

8. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    I don't know about that one Mr. Manny... This one time, at band camp... HAHAHAHAHA

9. Liad Bar-EL

Liad Bar-EL Forte User

Oct 25, 2003
    Jerusalem, Israel
    I laughed all the way through that message. Lighten up in life a little and you will not feel so sad as the other mad nag who has to wag his rag for nothing more than a zig and a zag.
    To be serious, it is his choice to get a teacher or not and he has that choice as to what sound he wants if any. I gave him that choice of what sound he might get if he doesn't get a teacher. I know of two people who started out on the horn. One was having trouble blowing his horn and asked someone why he couldn't get a sound out of it. Come to find out, he bought the horn without a mpc and he was trying to blow it on the mouth pipe itself. The other student knew he had to get a teacher but only wanted five lessons and no more. What do you tell these guys so that they can understand? If someone wants to sound like a babbling blubbering baboon, that's his business; however, since he asked the question of which we all know the answer as does he,………………….
    I will even go one step further of which it was hardly even touched on in this thread. If he doesn't want to pay the "expensive" price that he alluded to, IMO, he is more than welcomed to save that extra amount of money…..let's say $25.00 for each lesson. After some time he will have to use that saved money for dental and oral surgery bills from using too much pressure. Maybe he should be putting not $25.00 aside but rather an extra $100.00 for each lesson for possible future treatment of swollen glands in the neck, thyroid problems and possible hernias from using too much pressure not in the right places.
    From my experience, what I got out of one $100 lesson, I could not get out of 50 lessons each costing $25.00. Maybe you yourself could have been more constructive in your time and effort in this thread to help others by mentioning this fact and other facts relative to the subject of the originators post than spending your efforts and everybody's time acting like Mr. Rogers and his little kids.

10. Majestic

Majestic Banned

Oct 24, 2006
    Joooooooooooooooooes are you a troooooooooooooooooll?

You posted an open ended question, watched the thread go wild with no intervention to focus, to clarify nor to control the thread has all the marks of a troll and spelled with 17 of the same letter of o's as in your name.

I will give you the benefit of the doubt and ask you a clinching question of which I am sure that there are people here who would be able to help you once they know the answer.

What are your objectives or goals in playing the trumpet?

MJ