do i need a teacher?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by joooooooooooooooooes, Nov 8, 2006.

1. djm6701

djm6701 Pianissimo User

You said, "the trumpet teacher..." - there has got to be more than one person who can teach trumpet in your area...

2. kctrump

kctrump New Friend

Nov 6, 2005
    It appears Liad is having a bit of difficulty understanding the English language, which is common for a person in which English is not their native language.

Or maybe he choses to engage the keyboard after a few too many nite-caps.

It's hard to say...
    Maybe he's discontinued his pursuit on the trumpet and is considering being a clown or comedian?

Which ever it is...please turn the other cheek...

(the above is dripping with sarcasm)

3. joooooooooooooooooes

joooooooooooooooooes New Friend

Nov 4, 2006
    all i want to do is to be able to play ska because ska is one of my favourite types of music and i want to be able to play along with my favourite bands. im not that interested in gaining grades or anything, i just want to have fun.

4. joooooooooooooooooes

joooooooooooooooooes New Friend

Nov 4, 2006

all i want to do is to be able to play ska because ska is one of my favourite types of music and i want to be able to play along with my favourite bands (streetlight manifesto, catch 22, reel big fish etc.). im not that interested in gaining grades or anything, i just want to have fun.

5. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Joe, a trumpet is not an instrument with which you can "have fun" in ANY genre of music until you've paid your dues and can play the horn without even thinking about it. It's probably fair to say that to acquire this level of skill requires literally thousands of hours of practice. Therefore, since you don't seem willing to accept the serious answers you've received so far perhaps it's best if you just drop the topic.

You don't "learn to play trumpet" overnight! Many of these guys have spent years and decades learning, refining and practicing their craft so that they can just "pick up the horn and have a good time" with it. There are no secrets and no shortcuts. Either accept that and start working or move on to a different instrument... for which I strongly suspect you'll find similar issues.

As far as those characters who seem bent on turning your question into some kind of mud-slinging contest... do what I do. Put them on "ignore".

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    joooooooooooooooooes,
    it really makes no difference if you want to play ska, Maynard Ferguson or symphony orchestra. When you are young, developing the right habits is easier AND gives you the gift of music for life. If you try and "cheat" like in PC games, you will run into a brick wall later and will have to invest MUCH more time to improve or correct old BAD habits. Try and get the most professional start that you can. If your style of music changes in the next 10 years, you will be thankful for it!