Do I overplay on Mondays?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by DiaxII, Jun 22, 2011.

1. DiaxII

DiaxII Pianissimo User

Oct 22, 2009
    E.Europe
    I usually have 1 hour in the evening to practice/play my trumpet after my main job wich is not music-related. I try maintain consistent practice schedule of 5 days from Monday to Friday.

After two days off on Saturday and Sunday when I return to trumpet on Monday I can do my best: I have pretty good tone, I can play some musical phrases up to G on top of the stuff. After half an hour of playing it seems like I'm doing even better then in the beginning of a session. "Warming-up" term can surely be applied here. All in all one hour practice session on Monday feels like I'm a real trumpeter ;)

On Tuesday however everything changes: I can hardly blow any note above the third space C, tire up pretty quickly and have no Monday fun. Wednesday, Thursday and Friday do not bring any better results.

Then Saturday and Sunday off and Monday fun comes and... goes on Tuesday :(

Should I start off with less effort on Monday? Any other advice?

2. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    Any chance of putting in a little bit of time on the weekends?
    Can you give us a run down on your practice routine? How often doyou rest between exercises .. you should be resting as much as you play...which will be frustrating given your limited available time.
    I know this might bring boos from the stand but what size mouthpiece are you using? If it is too big then you can hold it together while your chops are tight (Monday) but as the week progresses and your chops loosen up it will be more difficult...IMHO
    If more practice time isn't an option and the mouthpiece is the correct size.. you might consider playing something different on Tuesday and Thursday.

3. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    Chris Botti once said in an interview (on youtube or some other audio/video site somewhere) that if he misses even just one day of practice he pays for it.

--bumblebee

4. DiaxII

DiaxII Pianissimo User

Oct 22, 2009
    E.Europe
    My routine is a very simple amature routine: start from soft low C-B-A; actually, yes - 5min brake; some long tones; break; some scale fragments; break; some roots-fifths-octaves (not much I can do here really, C, maybe D on Monday); break; some 'When the saints go marching in' stuff; break; low C-B-A outro

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    You underplay every other day - otherwise you would have the endurance.

Much better than less on Monday is more on every other day. That is the difference between work and play.

6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    My suggestions are based on my own personal experience.
    1- ( Coolerdave is correct IMO also) Get a mpc that you know is the best "fit" for you. Here are a couple links to aid you in selection:
    Lu en français*** Gelesen auf Deutsch******* Leído en español

New Page 1

2- Once you find "the mpc", get a B.E.R.P. or buzz buddy and attach it to the mpc (;-)).

3- Find "Trumpet Warm-ups " by Walter Moeck. Make this your daily warm-up routine. It covers the basics including range.

4- Play your new mpc/berp contraption while you drive around town or are doing something that is mindless and you can practice on your mpc. I start with the above mentioned warm-up (which was long ago memorized) and when done move on to scales, long tones, etc. . The only thing you won't be able to do is fingering exercises ;-).

You will be amazed at how all areas of your playing will improve as you make this a part of your daily routine. Of course this will require you to carry your "contraption" with you and make you an ultimate trumpet geek.
    I did/do this because I too have limited time as you. My range has improved from an E in the staff to high E! High G is next!

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

P.S., THIS SHOULD NOT REPLACE YOUR REGULAR PRACTICE ROUTINE!!

Last edited: Jun 22, 2011
  7. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    It probably would help to not push too much on Mondays, after taking 2 days off.

But I agree with Rowuk. It sounds like you need a more consistent practice routine.

Also, I'm not sure how much I'd worry about the equipment for now (IMHO). At least not until you have a more consistent daily routine.

8. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    Why are you not playing on Sat-Sun??

You are only playing 5 hrs a week when most players have to put in 4x that (and many play much more) If you could add in 2.5hrs each day on Sat-Sun then you could at least double your production and maybe improve overall consistency.

I usually have at least one day on my schedule that I consider an "off day", but for me an "off day" doesn't mean not playing... it means not playing HARD. I usually do 4-8 15-20 minute sessions throughout the day of just clarke, schlossberg, stamp, and long tones, pedal tones, & scales...no tunes, no improv, no range, nothing agressive. I try to stay below the staff but usually and up doing some slurs that pop up to a c (still in the staff). The goal in my "off day" is just to improve blood flow and keep the lips buzzing. That makes the next day more consistent.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2011
  9. DiaxII

DiaxII Pianissimo User

Oct 22, 2009
    E.Europe
    Yes, regarding equipment. I have an older Reynolds Medalist cornet from mid 60-s in decent shape(I have couple more horns but they are not used).

MPs: I have three of them. You are correct, at least for me they all work quite similarly and I don't notice much difference in them. I hear and feel some difference but that's secondary.

1. The stock 'Reynolds' with no markings.
    2. Vincent Bach Corp 7B
    3. Schilke 15

The last one looks like a more advanced in terms of craftsmanship and it plays with sort of more soft, refined sound. By the way can you please confirm this observation of mine if it's correct?

10. DiaxII

DiaxII Pianissimo User

Oct 22, 2009
    E.Europe
    OK, I see the trend. Are you all saying that what I experience is normal with my current approach?