Do I overplay on Mondays?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by DiaxII, Jun 22, 2011.

1. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    The Schilke 15 is the pick of the litter IMO.

You said, "I hear and feel some difference but that's secondary."

That is really the primary issue. Pick the mpc that is most comfortable and gives you a good sound, then gradually build up your practice routine.

2. DiaxII

DiaxII Pianissimo User

Oct 22, 2009
    E.Europe
    I'll do.
    I'd very appreciate if you my more knowledgeable comrades from TrumpetMaster recommended me a good and balanced practice routine for say 1.5 hours a day with possible variations as a starting point.

I have a bunch of "college" methods like Belwin and Rubank and I don't have any "real" trumpet method. Do I actually need one?

3. Flugel52

Flugel52 Pianissimo User

Jan 24, 2011
    Central Florida
    Regarding method books, if you don't have Arban's, that would be a great one to start with. I'll leave practice recommendations to those far better qualified than myself. Good luck!

Steve

4. catello

catello Pianissimo User

Dec 14, 2009
    Winter Park, FL
    It's always a good idea to use various method books - it helps to measure your progress by working through the exercises. Some have been mentioned here already - Clarke, Scholssberg and of course, for a complete method, Arbans.

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    +1

6. DiaxII

DiaxII Pianissimo User

Oct 22, 2009
    E.Europe
    One more thing to mention. My ultimate goal is to be able to play jazz and pop standards for fun. Should I really seriously concentrate on Arbans and such? I know of course there are no shortcuts especially when considering trumpet.

7. catello

catello Pianissimo User

Dec 14, 2009
    Winter Park, FL
    Who says playing Arbans isn't "fun"? Regardless of your playing style goals, basic skills still need to be developed.

8. Satchmo Brecker

Satchmo Brecker Piano User

Jul 19, 2010
    Two things...if that's your goal (and it's close to mine too) then I think some of the suggestions about practicing a zillion hours a week might be a bit much. Second, even with your goal, I'm guessing you don't want to be sort of a "trained dog" player where you can't play much beyond the tunes. For me the fun is being able to play the tunes but to be an honest to goodness trumpeter at a certain level. To me that makes the method books fun or at least worth it.

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Can you say, "Carnival of Venice"?!:-)

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Many times the jazz players spend more time on the basics than the classical players do. Timing and groove need superior technique. To play anything cleanly, you need the basic building blocks. They are found in the Arbans book.