Do I overplay on Mondays?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by DiaxII, Jun 22, 2011.

1. hichez

hichez Pianissimo User

Jul 13, 2009
    DiaII even though you are playing for fun you still want to play with the most expression and what the composer intended it to sound like. Working on fundamentals helps with that.

2. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    FYI - the Reynolds Medalist is a decent horn and very playable in all ranges - decent sound --and good quality, heavy but I have 2 and they are good horns.

if you want more consistency -- ok -- put the horn to the face more -- that's it!!

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    In this order:

5 minutes buzzing on the mouthpiece
    5 minutes of long tones
    10 minutes of slurs
    40 minutes of music/tunes
    30 minutes of technical studies - Arban, Clarke, St. Jacome, Schlossberg

4. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Ditto.

I primarily play in a jazz trio. And I spend 1/3 to 1/2 of my daily routine on jazz songs and jazz methods. But I spend the rest of my time on the fundamentals, which (IMHO) is where I feel my ability to play comes from.

Of course, you don't have to use Arbans. There are other good books out there. But Arbans is a standard.

5. DiaxII

DiaxII Pianissimo User

Oct 22, 2009
    E.Europe
    Thanks all, very useful information for me.

Regarding the practice routine: Does the Rowuk's breakdown (thank you Rowuk for that) include only pure playing time without breaks?

Should I add time for breaks:

5 minutes buzzing on the mouthpiece
    5 min break

5 minutes of long tones
    5 min break

10 minutes of slurs
    10 min break?

40 minutes of music/tunes
    a number of breaks in between tunes? (5/5)

30 minutes of technical studies - Arban, Clarke, St. Jacome, Schlossberg
    a number of breaks in between studies? (5/5)

6. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    You have a pretty diverse set of mouthpieces. The 7B is deeper, get's a nice mellow sound, but in my opinion you have to work harder with a deeper cup. The Shilke cup is a large cup .. somewhere between a 1 and 1 1/2 for a Bach ... I don't know about the depth of the cup. That size Shilke is too big for alot of players. My lower range might be full on a big cup but I will have zero upper register for any length of time and will tire rather quickly.
    With what you have told us I would consider trying a smaller rim mouthpiece and a shallower cup. The tried and true Bach 7c isn't a bad start. Maybe you can find a used one (that still has the silver on it) ..I tried a Faux which wasn't bad ( price was rigth ~$25) but the cup was a little soft for my liking.
    Even with your practice schedule you should be able to hit the G on a regular basis, unless there are some health issues involved.
    See if you can find a local college student to help set you up on a routine and to examine your playing.
    So hard to do this in an online forum setting.

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Breaks are necessary and dependent on the amount of "animal" in your playing. If you practice softly, the chops hold up better. I will normally rest as much as I play when playing technical stuff, but not interrupt the "flow" when tunes are sounding good.

8. DiaxII

DiaxII Pianissimo User

Oct 22, 2009
    E.Europe
    Are you sure? I've heard there is a great variety in ability to develop range for various people. They say there are people who can hit double C within a week and there are people who struggle to go higher than an octave below that within 6 months.

I consider myself a person with rather low ability in learning musical skills and still there are people worse than me (my buddy who then was in his early thirties had weekly piano lessons and after 6 months gave up because he just 'couldn't get it'. He is a higher than average capable person in all other activites though).

I know it's a bad idea to self-teach myself the trumpet but I see there is some progress: I could hardly hit the second line G a year ago.

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia

Based solely on what you just posted, your own worst enemy is your head. I know this because I used to think the same way. MY problem was I listened to all those "stories" about the DHC in a month and took it all to heart thinking I needed some super human skills. ALL I NEEDED WAS TO PRACTICE AND REALIZE I WASN'T GOING TO SOUND LIKE MAYNARD OVERNIGHT. It was going to take years of dedicated practice to achieve any level of competence. You have to accept that some days you suck and others you don't and keep moving on forward.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

10. Myszolow

Myszolow Pianissimo User

Apr 23, 2011
    True.

Cobblers. ROFL

I had lessons as a kid. 7 months into comeback I can just about squeak out a high C with a run-up - (like in the Hummel concerto 1st movement). I don't hit it every time and can only do it on fairly fresh lips.

I can hit a G above the staff most times and A sometimes (but not with tired or unwarmed up lips). F, I can pretty well take to the bank.

Take it easy on yourself. You've chosen the hard way.