Do I really understand "slot/slotting"

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Masterwannabe, Feb 1, 2010.

1. Masterwannabe

Masterwannabe Mezzo Piano User

Sep 11, 2009
    Colorado
    I have spent several days 'searching' TM for the word slot. Boy, it sure is used alot! Although I did not find any threads that talked specifically about 'slot' I have gathered that when people reference it they are referring to how well a horn settles in on a particular pitch. Am I somewhat correct? If I am way off base could someone please provide a quick tutorial on what is being talked about when some mentions 'slot'?

As an aside to this question if a horn does not slot particularly well what might be the remedy?

Thanks, :play:

2. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    Slotting is what we used to call centering. If a horn doesn't center [slot] it could be the stem pads or the gap between the shank of the mouthpiece and the end of the mouthpiece receiver .

3. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    Slotting is also impacted if air is leaking from the horn or valves are not properly aligned. For "legit" playing, slotting is a real plus. I have known several "jazz" players who like the freedom to bend notes afforded by a horn that slots loosely.

4. crazyandy88

crazyandy88 Pianissimo User

Nov 3, 2007
    Fayetteville, AR
    Here's an article I found on slotting by Nick Drozdoff...a TM member and great player. Your question is addressed in the first paragraph...then he continues into some more specifics but it's still an interesting read!
    Slotting

5. Masterwannabe

Masterwannabe Mezzo Piano User

Sep 11, 2009
    Colorado
    Thanks for the help so far. I would still like some ideas on how one might modify a horn to improve it's 'slotting'. Everything I have learned so far is there are probably an infinite number of factors that could affect slotting, i.e. bore, tubing wall thickness, length of tubing , bell flare, mouthpiece etc, etc, etc.

I have found once again the more I learn the more I find out that I know actually very little. I have discovered a very informative paper on the internet that maybe some of you would be interested in.

Brass instrument (lip reed) acoustics: an introduction

6. trumpetup

trumpetup Piano User

Jan 12, 2009
    Godley, Texas
    Rich Ita at Brass Instrument Workshop sales the Pilczuk Leadpipe. He says it really makes a trumpet slot well. I e-mailed him and asked about a horn I had for jazz. He explained what has been mentioned here, a jazz horn doesn't need to slot well. If a man is honest enough to tell you that you don't need his product, I will give him any work I can.
    http://www.brassinstrumentworkshop.com/html/pilczuk_pipes.html

-Bobby

Last edited: Feb 2, 2010
  7. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    Increased mass is supposed to improve slotting. Curry makes weighted Ccaps for that purpose. I understand that if there is room you can put a dime in the bottom of each valve and it does pretty much the same thing for .30 if you want to try it.

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Slotting is simply efficiency, and that means complementary technology. It is not weight, leadpipe, bellshape, brace placement, material thickness or any other specific thing: it is everything fitting together optimally.
    High efficiency is always accompanied by higher blow resistance - the horn is doing more work and that "loads" the motor-your chops.

The highest "efficiency" setup that I have ever played, regardless of price and brand, is a Yamaha Xeno with a Monette BL mouthpiece. It gave me more volume for the same amount of work playing than any other setup. Unfortunately, efficiency is not the reason that I buy instruments. Suitability for the types of music that I play is. The sound of the Xeno and 14A4A does not match ANY of MY playing situations!

I firmly believe that pimping a horn does not improve its playability. It merely trades off various aspects and any increase in slotting "feeling" is generally compensated by worse intonation, more uneven blow or a less smooth development of soud when you crescendo for instance.

You need to buy the right horn and that means play everything until one grabs YOU!

My sticky thread "how a trumpet works" explains it in detail.