Do You Always Practice With Your "Best" Instrument?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by tedh1951, Apr 18, 2011.

1. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    I've noticed a couple of comments that suggest some players practice with a different trumpet to the one that is their performance trumpet. I use the one that will be used at the next gig - generally it's my Bravura, but part of the time I wheel out the Eterna Classic, and sometimes even my old student horn - yes it gets a gernsey a couple of gigs per years. Will it make a lot of difference? :dontknow: What is the norm do you think?

Last edited: Apr 18, 2011
  2. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    I have two primary horns which have different characters -- and I practice almost evenly on both, but only on one horn per session.
    I sometimes drag out other horns to keep them alive.

--bumblebee

3. mineo50

mineo50 Pianissimo User

Jan 15, 2011
    Barstow, CA
    I tend to practice most on the horn I use for performances. Currently that is my Strad, due to the need to blend in with the communtity band I am playing with. The one I enjoy most and practice on normally is my Kanstul FBesson. As above I drag the other two out about once a month or so to keep the "spiders" away.

4. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    When I get a gig I'll let you know ....:oops:

Turtle

5. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I drag the other horns out occasionally just to keep everything working, but I normally practice on the horns I'm using at the time (except the Civil War cornet - I play it only when I have to...). For example, if I'll be using a C trumpet on an upcoming gig, then I devote a chunk of my practice time every day on it.

6. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    I bought my horn because I like the way it responds,sounds and feels,so I us it everyday. I will take my backups out once in a while to make sure everything is in working order, but my main horn is my main horn for a reason.

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I practice with the horn/horns that are up next. All of my instruments are "best" in one way or another. My current worst instrument is my cornetto. I just need to find more time in a day.............

8. mrsemman

mrsemman Piano User

Apr 8, 2010
    Massachusetts
    While recently I have been primarily playing my cornet, I make time to practice with my two trumpets and flugel at least once per week.

9. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    my King is my main trumpet that I practice on and have done most of my gigs on. I grap the other 7 horns every other month or so to keep them workable.

I also have an F.E. Olds Eb horn (similiar mpc to trumpet) - that I take out more frequently, just because it is a fun horn, and I like to make it sing -- always thinking that it was relegated to 5 or 6 notes in the big bands of 50 years ago --- so I like to take her through her paces for a couple octaves anyhow.

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Yes, I practice on my best trumpet (Olds Recording) and my best flugelhorn (only flugelhorn) daily. My kid brother has my Ambassador in another city so that makes putting this into the rotation rather difficult, but if I had it, I would also keep it active.