do you believe you can just be born with it..

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by xeno1990, Aug 19, 2008.

1. xeno1990

xeno1990 New Friend

Jul 12, 2008
    I never believed it, seriously, I mean you practice and you work up to it and become the player you want to be. For example, big band lead, combo, chamber, ect.. well.. I am only in high school and my drum major is a clarinet player and I know this may have something or nothing at all to do with his abilities, but he is also asian. That's all cool.

My friends told me he is just born with it, never played trumpet and isn't even to good at the clarinet.. I kid you not, it was just a 7c mouthpiece handed to him and it was on a strad trumpet.. first notes were Gs and high Cs over the staff and with no buttons he was yelling out Gs and As.. over high C yes. Never had any trumpet teachings AT ALL!!!! It wasn't a squeak or anything, it was full all out tone. Wasn't fuzzy or thin.

To top it off, he wears a retainer that has that metal wire going across the center of his top teeth.

I know we must work and build up to what we want as farr as range.. but how is he so different and others like him.. to just be "born with it"..

puzzled...

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I've seen some natural trumpeters myself, and their additude was along the lines of "what's the big deal?"

Weird.

Follow your passion.

3. xeno1990

xeno1990 New Friend

Jul 12, 2008
    I know I can't believe when they say that... He thought it was nothing

4. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    There are quite a few guys that I have encountered over the years that can play quite high.
    To be a musician is a package deal. A musician must play high AND low. Loud AND soft. Staccato AND legato. ..........AND all of that on demand.
    There is more to it than just high notes.....lots more.
    Wilmer

5. xeno1990

xeno1990 New Friend

Jul 12, 2008
    True and I completely agree, but it seems the hardest to advance is range on the trumpet. Years I mean, it will take people to get to a double C and higher, if that's what they choose. But like you said, you need it all. I'm competing against this guy in my grade that clears Fs and Gs out. So lead in Jazz band he has buckled down, I am clearing Ds and some Ebs... but if you ask him to play just anything like hyms, ballads, classical..ect. He can not. He has barely to none fundamentals, but he has that range and he has nailed the "Maynard lip slur". Some audience listen for the feeling and the structure of the music together, but other people will come to see just to be shocked on the tricks and crazy things you are able to do.

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    It is always easy to focus on the things that you can't do, maybe even be envious of other players that can. That is a personal character weakness.

It is important that YOU can rejoice in YOUR accomplishments, regardless of how much is still left to do. A small step every day, every week can keep the aspiring player moving. Even more reason to have a good teacher to help keep focus and perspective.

Yes, I also have experienced the "natural talents", many of which go on to be very fine players and MISERABLE teachers because they never had to work through the hard times the rest of us did.

Range is NOT hard on the trumpet. Keeping the testosterone down to keep your routine focussed is. The secret has been posted a thousand times: long tones, lip slurs, buzzing and extreme soft practicing. Nobody wants to believe that a double C is the product of common sense. They prefer the olympic qualification route. That is why it is so tough - the player has something to prove and doesn't behave!

7. Toobz

Toobz Mezzo Piano User

Feb 5, 2007
    It's similar to what I experienced the first time I played a trumpet. My friend handed me his horn, and I preceded to hit a high C and D. Needless to say, he was impressed. Since then, with countless hours added to playing, I can hit high G but not consistently. So what ! I still have trouble with almost every other aspect of playing. I would trade being able to hit a high note for being able to play well in a second.

I believe my previous sax playing helped my diaphragm and assisted in reaching those first high notes. I'm no natural trumpeter, I'm just full of hot air ! [​IMG]

8. horner

horner Pianissimo User

Jul 19, 2008
    London, England
    I was the same apparently, i was handed a cornet when i was 7 n told to blow it n i hit a double C. I dont practice much but my range is now F-G above that. I would rather have better improv abilities though... swings and roundabouts i guess....

9. miles71

miles71 Mezzo Piano User

Nov 8, 2004
    Maryland
    Funny how things line up.

I was at a Vizzutti masterclass and he was asked by an audience member if he thought players could attain major improvements on range with work and practice. Allen thought for a minute and responded "Nope". A silence and then laughter occurred.

I think to some extent we are born with certain abilities, but about 96.467% of anything you will play is between low C and High D. I would trade all the Double C's I could ever play to be 100% musical and accurate in that "useful range". I do believe most players can attain that range.

Play music not notes.
    TD

10. skankin'dan

skankin'dan Pianissimo User

Mar 14, 2007
    Winnipeg
    Well it sort of happened to me.

Up until grade 10-ish, i got really good for how long I've been playing (or so I've been told). But then it all went out the door just like that and I started from scratch. From that point on, a lot of time and effort went into me pretty much learning trumpet again.

The moral of the story, you may have a leg up in playing compared to other people, but don't just depend on that. You can only go so far on born skill. Plus, it's more rewarding in the end if you work for it.