do you believe you can just be born with it..

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by xeno1990, Aug 19, 2008.

1. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    Yes I do believe some are born natural players, they call them proteges.You can find them on any instrument. With trumpet it`s the coordiation of correct emboucher and breathing most of us had to learn.[it can be done]

2. godchaser

godchaser Banned

Jun 17, 2007

Many thanks for the question Xeno!

-Things i've been reading a million different times never clicked till now.

-

Last edited: Aug 21, 2008
  3. Hitman0042

Hitman0042 Banned

Aug 9, 2008
    Australia
    well maybe he just is a fast learner!!

4. cobragamer

cobragamer Pianissimo User

Jan 26, 2008
    Raleigh,NC
    Yeah When I was fourth grade their was this other kid(three grades older) that had trouble playing the high A. Well when his time came up in concert he asked me to play it since I had a better range that he did.

5. Hitman0042

Hitman0042 Banned

Aug 9, 2008
    Australia
    but if it was his concert y did he ask you to play the high A?

6. nickpasternack

nickpasternack Pianissimo User

Aug 21, 2008
    Rochester, NY
    i think you can be born with it, my teacher has a student who is going into 6th grade that can hit bold open double high C's. I didn't believe him until i heard the kid do it.....made me depressed for about a week. I couldn't touch double high C until freshman year of high school. Some people just have natural chops. Its kinda scary when they are four feet tall and half your age.

7. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    I find this thread amazing. The ability to hit high notes has NEVER been one of my priorities. I have friends who play in the high register, but they will tell you that the bulk of their work is in the lower parts of their playing range.
    A great sound in a young player is more important than a double whatever. Flexibility is more important then a double whatever Musicianship is more important than a double whatever ...................unless you want to play at high school level for the rest of your life!
    Wilmer

8. dwindham

dwindham Pianissimo User

Aug 6, 2006
    I've got my 8yr old taking lessons now with a private teacher and our focus right now is on getting a full open sound, breathing properly, and building good habits now.

He's been playing 2 months and can play a G below the staff to a G in the staff.

The only talks of range has been to try to work up to a C by December so he can play in a concert with the 6th graders.

9. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    Is musiciansip then someting you are born with? Let's forget about the double C...Or something depending on education, temperament, mentality etc?

10. godchaser

godchaser Banned

Jun 17, 2007

Interesting thought TrumpetNick. Just yesterday at the gym i met up with a retired Psychologist. A many times published Phd- real sharp, grounded sort. He mentioned his body of work in context of speaking about the myths of IQ's; and that any real significance to be drawn can only be measured in achievement.

I suppose the gifted player has an initial advantage, all things being equal? That's to say, if they work as hard and are as motivated as the Musician that's developed their Chops & Musicianship with time?

He mentioned that genius isn't anymore prone to dysfunction/achievement than that of average intelligence. -Another myth. I gathered his point was nobody's got any excuses of indulgence in one form or another. :) Time's the great equalizer? -Professional sporting being the exception; he motioned, but nevertheless.

What he said made good sense i thought.

-

Last edited: Aug 22, 2008