do you believe you can just be born with it..

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by xeno1990, Aug 19, 2008.

1. Jerry Freedman

Jerry Freedman Piano User

Mar 4, 2005
    If all that was necessary for success in trumpet playing then there would be many, many more Wynton Marslis' than there are. Every conservatory and music school has students camped out in the practice rooms. How many of them make good?

2. xeno1990

xeno1990 New Friend

Jul 12, 2008
    Well, I know there is alot of trumpets players out there, that believes that you don't "need the high range", because its uncallled for, or it's not in most of the pieces today.

Well that is true, it isn't depending on the style. BUT I am a high school trumpet player, and my jazz band is one of the best just about in the country. I mean MF came and performed while we were the opening jazz group, then played a couple of songs together with both jazz groups. it was right before he passed.

I know with the songs we have this year, LEAD part, has G's and A's over high C. Hmmm... and I was told in most of our trumpet music it's not required to be that high. Well when we play MF, Gordon G, Glenn Miller, ect... we are required to be able to play up that high for the lead part.

This is a high school, Fontainebleau High, located in Mandeville Louisiana. Listen to this clip to just have an idea what range required to be lead.. well soloist in this matter. And I know his mid-range seriously could be cleaned up a bit with tone, ect. But he is our lead player this year. and he's has better control now. This is the guy I started the whole thread about.

YouTube - Kasey playing Fireshaker on Trumpet

Fireshaker- some months ago.

I know every trumpet player wants to achieve there own personal goals, but for me, I would like to extend my range. I work on it, but don't focus on it. It will come and I understand that. My goal is to complete 4 years at AU, majoring in Trumpet, then head over to North Texas.

3. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    I know what kind range it takes to play lead, because thats what I do. The big band I play with performs charts from the bands of Maynard ,Doc, Woody, Basie, Duke ,Buddy any way you get the idea.Most players who tell you a strong upper register isn`t important don`t have one themselves.Find a teacher who can teach you how to play up there. Sometimes its only a matter of practicing the right things, sometimes it takes an embrouchure ajustment, I know because it happened to me, I did all the soft longtones, lip slurs, scales, you name it, nothing really happened. Once I made a minor adjustment to my lower jaw my range took off like a rocket.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2008
  4. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    :play:I know what kind range it takes to play lead, because thats what I do. The big band I play with performs charts from the bands of Maynard ,Doc, Woody, Basie, Duke ,Buddy any way you get the idea.Most players who tell you a strong upper register isn`t important don`t have one themselves.Find a teacher who can teach you how to play up there. Sometimes its only a matter of practicing the right things, sometimes it takes an embrouchure ajustment, I know because it happened to me, I did all the soft longtones, lip slurs, scales, you name it, nothing really happened. Once I made a minor adjustment to my lower jaw my range took off like a rocket.

5. Bloomin Untidy Musician

Bloomin Untidy Musician Piano User

Jan 14, 2008
    Staffordshire
    Yes i think you can be born with it. I also think that natural musicians will succeed in playing any instrument successfully. I don't think there is necessarily natural chops (although, a good denture is useful). Chops is a touch of luck,but more importantly intelligent practice and good teaching.

Disagree with me if you think i am talking BS!!!!!!!!

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    My take on a natural player: the gift of patience, common sense, dedication. That with about 5% muscle activity and everything works fine.

The gift is in their HEADS not their CHOPS.

7. xeno1990

xeno1990 New Friend

Jul 12, 2008
    that's why i am happy i started this thread... to see and hear everyones idea on this topic. B.U.M, I will not argue with you. I believe what you are saying... but I did say in the beginning that for none trumpet players just to be able to scream unbelieveably high.. like double C and never playing before.. or knows how to play....I mean yes, he would have to be taught to understand and make it musical, but to be able to play a double C... and schooling all of the actual trumpet players that have been playing 10+ years!!.. I mean.. this is why i believe you could be "born with it".. I never stated he could've played the carnival of Venice with just being "born with it"...but his breathing.. chops. just It was insane to see. How was he capable of hitting a double C with no training...he is a clarinet player. (this guy i am talking about isn't on the one on youtube above)

8. Bach219

Bach219 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 25, 2008
    OH
    I agree with the some that say, "It's possible to be a natural born player". Maybe it could be in the GENES!

9. A2hok

A2hok New Friend

May 22, 2008
    Cambridge - UK
    Am I the only one thinking of selective breeding??

10. Annie

Annie Piano User

Nov 13, 2003
    Completely, totally, and utterly agree with you. It's like that quote "Genius is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration." It helps to have that spark, but that spark means absolute dog doo if you can't get your brain in working order to either relax and practice, or both. I've been told I'm a natural trumpet player - but guess what the one thing all my teachers in the past have worked on the most? Nerves. They get in the way - in a very big way if I even begin to let them.