Do you ever over think things?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by TrumpetMonk, Jun 25, 2010.

1. Paul Du Bourg

Paul Du Bourg Pianissimo User

Oct 27, 2006
    JHB
    Can you imagine Nadal thinking about every shot he plays. He would be a nervous wreck by the age of 25.

Muscle memory is what allows the pro's become pro's and the amateurs remain in a state of comparative uselessness regardless of the endeavour.

The pro's just work a lot harder.

Cheers

Paul

2. jongorrie

jongorrie Pianissimo User

May 9, 2010
    A simple way of looking at this is: "Whatever you focus on is what you get." So, you may like to try simply focussing on the sound you would like to produce, and leave your body to figure out the best way to breathe to achieve that.

3. jongorrie

May 9, 2010
    Sounds like it could help. Taking the focus off the negative, and bringing it to something totally different, with a positive anchor. Nice suggestion! :)

You could also try applying some of the techniques from Performing in The Zone. They're easy to learn and simple to apply:
    Performing in The Zone | Unleash your true performing potential!

4. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    I learnt this nanoseconds before I hit a half housebrick with the front wheel of my motorcycle.

I concentrated SO hard on the 1/2 brick (half way round a corner but in the middle of the road), that it went "BANG" right where I was concentrating - ahheeeee, splat, crash, tinkle tinkle .......... hey mate owareyougoinnawright? Call an ambulance Marge, this bloke's got a hydraulic leak.

What was I concentrating on? I THOUGHT I was focussing on MISSING the brick. :oops:

5. jongorrie

May 9, 2010
    Ouch - sorry to hear that! :S

Exactly though, don't think of a pink elephant... and a pink elephant fills your mind.
    Don't crash into the ½ brick... and you crash into it...

The trick then is to consciouslly focus on what you want, and on an emotional level, to allow yourself to focus on what you want.

That's what Performing in The Zone is all about :)

Performing in The Zone | Unleash your true performing potential!