Do you guys get the same thing?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Gxman, Jun 12, 2010.

1. Gxman

Gxman Piano User

Jan 21, 2010
    Hi

I'm very curious about 1 thing. I had 2 student horns made in taiwan that leaked out of the tuning slide. Now I got myself a Stomvi Mambo 5 and it slowly leakes out the tuning slide also.

Basically want to know if you all get what Im getting which is not actually classifed "leaking".

Take Trumpet out of the case, pulling tuning slide out so it is in tune with piano (piano is flat so tuning slide comes out maybe 2 inches or little more)

Play for 30 min. Look at tuning slide... can see water bubbles on slide where water seaped over 30 min worth of playing.

Is that something that happens in general?

I mean 2 student trumpets and one higher end horn (mambo 5) silver plate and they all seem to be doing that.

To assume I got 3 trumpets in a row (1 replaced by another and 2nd returned for refund and now 3rd baught with same thing happening) as a coincidence is hard to believe. So Im assuming it is normal.

Anyone else get that happen???

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Having water condense in the tuning slide is normal. That is why we have spit valves. Condensation outside the slide is not unnatural; generally a thicker slide grease will correct that.

3. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    I have an Olds Ambassador that does it but I believe that it has a non original tuning slide. My Yamaha does not do it, neither was any quality horn I've tried. I don't see how it would affect the sound, however.

4. ExtraTeeth

ExtraTeeth Pianissimo User

Nov 13, 2008
    Perth, Western Australia
    Yes, I've noticed the odd drop of condensation weeping out of the tuning slide sleeves. I've never thought anything of it. As long as its not an air leak, I can't see how it can have any detrimental effect.

5. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    I had a brand new Weimar (Chinese import) that leaked so bad, it would drip off the tuning slide while I was playing. Other than that, the only time I have seen it was when the tuning slide had been repaired and it did not fit properly or someone had polished the inner pipe so much that it did not fit tight. I have over 50 trumpets which is a pretty good sample. But, in your case, I do not think that what you have experienced is statistically anomalous. Because two of the three were asian imports and they are not built well, you could expect the leaking. So, the only questionable one is the Stomvi and for you to have one trumpet that leaks (unexpectedly) is just a random occurrence. The fact that you have the slide out so far probably increases the likelihood of something abnormal. As the others have said, it should not be a problem as long as it doesn't leak air.

6. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Vasoline petro jelly on the slides should fix this problem. However, the horn shouldn't leak as you are describing.

7. hup_d_dup

hup_d_dup Piano User

May 28, 2009
    Tewksbury, NJ, USA
    Gxman, you likely have a bigger problem than a leaking tuning slide. When the slide is pulled out over two inches you are playing the instrument roughly a half step lower than it was designed to be played. Even if you pull the valve slides out to compensate you will probably have to adjust for some quirky intonation. Adding to that, a piano that is a half step flat is probably not in tune with itself. Altogether, not the best environment to develop good intonation.

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    If the slides are well greased, there is no leak. 2 inches is indeed pretty far out. That with thin or no grease and any slide will drip.

9. Arthur Magazu

Arthur Magazu New Friend

May 26, 2010
    Stow, Ma.
    If your tuning slide is out 2 inches you have a serious problem and a little leeking water is not one of them..seriously I suggest pulling slide in to 1/2 inch and practicing with a tuner for a while everyday to re-adjust your ear to the proper pitch..

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Arthur, it helps to read the posts first. He is practicing with a piano tuned too low. There is no choice except to pull out - or learn to tune pianos.