Do you guys get the same thing?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Gxman, Jun 12, 2010.

1. Arthur Magazu

Arthur Magazu New Friend

May 26, 2010
    Stow, Ma.
    LOL.. my bad..sorry

2. Arthur Magazu

Arthur Magazu New Friend

May 26, 2010
    Stow, Ma.
    oops very sorry.. I misread the original post . please disregard my above comment.

3. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    The farther that the tuning slide is slid out, the lesser the amount of sealing surface. Highly viscous grease on the slide will 'help', but, your main problem, as Robin has stated, is that the piano is in dire need of being brought back into tune. This will allow you to push the trumpet tuning slide in and the result will be much less, or no leakage.

OLDLOU>>

4. Gxman

Gxman Piano User

Jan 21, 2010
    Thanks guys

The Piano I played with was at my church now that I have been home from college. But now I am going back to college. THat piano has not been tuned in over 10 years and its used every single week.

My trumpet where I live sweats. I opened up the box and the whole trumpets fogged up cause it gets to like 0-5 degrees here. Is that ok for the trumpet or is that bad?

When it was that cold... even when I had the tuning slide out half inch (distance of the silver plating on inside of tuning slide) it after 20 min or so had a big bubble of water on it. But I didn't put any tuning slide grease, as it was new... maybe it needed it.

Arthur Magazu - thanks for the Piano comment though you mis-read the post because I didn't think that playing out of tune would tune my ear out of tune. Generally when Im practicing by myself I dont touch the tuning slide as it doesnt need to be in tune with anything... thanks for the idea, from now I will play it in tune when on my own which I didnt think about really. So the post you made was of good use.

Thanks for help.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2010
  5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    You "hit it on the head". IME tuning to a piano is the worst! With rare exception of a concert quality piano being in a home and it's player being a pro and maintaining it well, I've not come upon a domestic piano as is even close to being accurately tuned ... and that includes electronic ones also. My late Mother once had a concert Steinway full grand piano in our home and IMO played in like a pro. She had it tuned 4 times a year, just as she did the other piano she had at the time. Still, mostly my brothers and I (all playing brass horns) tuned with a tuning fork just as we did with such at school. Where my maternal grandfather ( a country music violinist ) acquired a set of tuning forks I don't know, but I have them now, and yes, A=440. Too, while I have an electronic tuner, I'd rather rely on my pitch pipe.

6. MTROSTER

MTROSTER Piano User

Jan 25, 2007
    Canada
    An electronic tuner costs $20.

7. Gxman

Gxman Piano User

Jan 21, 2010
    Tuning fork costs 5 :-P

8. lmf

lmf Forte User

May 16, 2007
    Indiana USA
    !

GXMan,

Of course, if you are being asked to "play along" with piano tuned "too low" - Yeeks!

If not having to use that piano....a tuner and/or a tuning fork is a good investment.

I'm assuming you tune your guitar by ear often, but sooner or later, you have to bring it "into real tune" with a tuner. ;-)

Best wishes,

Lloyd

9. Frankie Prive

Frankie Prive New Friend

Feb 21, 2010
    Mansfield UK
    I use the tuning notes on the Jamey Aebersold CDs.