Do you have a link to...?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by christineka, Mar 22, 2010.

1. christineka

christineka Pianissimo User

Feb 24, 2010
    I'm new here, so I thought maybe my questions have been answered somewhere else already.
    Is there a discussion or website giving tips on how to buy a brass instrument off of ebay?
    How about some sort of discussion on a good cornet to start on? (My husband and I have found out that it is easier to learn to play a better instrument than on the low quality ones.)

2. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    You can start by viewing http://www.trumpetmaster.com/vb/f139/decent-inexpensive-horns-44578.html . There you can find out brands and models that have been tested and deemed worthy. Now as for buying on EBAY:

1. It would be better to buy an instrument that you can actually test prior to bidding.
    2. Make sure that the instrument is in good condition - all slides, valves etc should move smoothly. Evidence of prior repairs are undesirable, especially if they are not done properly.
    3. While there is no absolute guarantee it is better to buy from sellers with excellent reputation score and consistently good customer feedback.
    4. It is recommendable for the lacquer/finish to be in mint/excellent condition, but if everything else work fine, cosmetics are still secondary. However, you kid may be better motivated by e beautiful shine horn.

If you buy and Olds cornet, be aware that some cornets had a different mp receiver standard than modern one - if you want to use another mp than the one supplied with the horn you may find out that it is relatively difficult to get to try those as not many mp makers offer the appropriate shank.

3. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Send me a PM, I will give you some info on that and some much better alternatives to ebay/auctions, which have no risk and return your monet if not satisfied.

4. Harry Richardson

Harry Richardson New Friend

Jan 17, 2010
    In my area of the US, Bach and Yamaha beginner trumpets and cornets are the most popular brands being used by most schools. There are others, but you'll have to look hard to find other brands being used in the schools I've been associated with in any way.