Do you have to sit straight up to play trumpet correctly?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Haste2, Sep 9, 2013.

1. eviln3d

eviln3d Pianissimo User

Jun 5, 2013
    As long as you can take a breath comfortably and take full deep breaths it probably isn't going to matter that much... only you know if you can do that in a lazy-boy.... though I have noticed when I'm recline to much the spit doesn't make it down past the crook and will come back at me... so I tend to draw the line at laying down completely.

2. Sharvey

Sharvey Pianissimo User

Dec 25, 2012
    Australia
    Are you suggesting the trumpet section needs to be provided with banana chairs fro performancces

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Actually any type of chair works well if the section is provided with gin and tonics! Prefer limes over bananas in that case.

4. tjcombo

tjcombo Forte User

Nov 12, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    Standing works best for me, but recent increased time commuting meant that there's been way more time spent in the car up close and personal with my hose trumpet.

No problems with being gently reclined, but it does take some concentration to ensure that the buttock muscles don't allow any untoward "Rays of Power" to escape whilst practicing in the upper register!

5. musicalmason

musicalmason Forte User

Dec 14, 2003
    Pa
    I find I get the most power when standing, but sitting up with good posture is hardly different. Physically I just feel I can "focus my energy" better when standing....not to sound like a hippy, but that is how it feels to me. That said, I have played some pretty weird shows, including a backstage pit band where we had to sit cross legged on the floor with music on our cases. Best advice is to get good at making a good sound wherever th music director decides to cram you in.

6. duanemassey

duanemassey Piano User

Jul 14, 2009
    Houston
    Whether it is trumpet, keyboards, or singing, I prefer standing, always have. For the last year I been dealing with a painful knee joint, and standing is much more comfortable in that regard as well.

7. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    When sitting just sit. When standing just stand. Don't wobble.

8. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    Have you considered surgery? It is my understanding that most people who elect to have corrective surgery for your condition report significant improvement as a result.

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Surgery is not a benign procedure, unless you have an extreme cosmetic deformity or significant symptoms such as subjective shortness of breath, just getting this surgery to play the trumpet better is not advised.

10. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    I find that when standing, particularly after refreshment, it's advisable to brace myself against a wall for the loud bits