Do you like Maynard? Can you play???

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by yourbrassinstructor, Dec 8, 2008.

1. thebugleboy

thebugleboy Pianissimo User

Dec 10, 2008
    Deep South
    Start a Bill Chase tribute, and I'll do it for you. THERE was a man with a horn.

2. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    Did you know that Chase actually played in the Boss's band?

Tim

3. thebugleboy

Dec 10, 2008
    Deep South
    He originally played with Ferguson in Kenton's band and later as lead in Herman's THundering Herd. Ferguson got him kicked out from Stan Kenton. He said he had no upper range. Forever after, Ferguson would attack and belittle Bill...sour grapes? Ferguson borrowed some stage effects from me for an Augusta concert in, I think, 1975. I wasn't real impressed with him. He had good range, powerful chops, but he was all over the place, no control. Bill Chase was a marksman in comparison. Too bad he didn't have the long life to fully mature. I'm glad you're doing something to keep alive the memory of one of the great performers. I hope you do very well. Thanks for the dedication. Don't get me wrong. I do respect Ferguson quite a lot.

4. Rich Wetzel

Rich Wetzel Pianissimo User

Dec 27, 2003
    Tacoma, WA

Wow... I am not even sure what to say to that. I love Bill Chase, but to say something like that about Maynard who could not just play high but also bebop up there too, specially in his younger years, just seems to miss it's own mark. I have never heard Maynard belittle anyone, genuinely one of the nicest cats that has ever played the trumpet, and in my personal opinion, one of the most exciting and amazing players as well.

5. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    Amen!

6. thebugleboy

Dec 10, 2008
    Deep South
    Relax everybody. I was half way pulling the old boy's chain about Ferguson. That's what I do best. I'm a musician AND an old warrior, and I like playing with people's minds and starting fights. Just like Maynard did. I respect Maynard quite a lot. He had the ability to perform in the upper register for considerable periods with little friction support to his embouchure. He did however have occasions to bad mouth Bill. Ferguson's Chameleon and other pop hits empowered many young students to strive for something higher (pun intended). There are many trumpeters I've been around who have had that special raw power (I well remember Al Hirt...I got to sit in on a jam with Hirt's and Pete Fountain's bands. What a night! I think I was about eighteen or nineteen), but I think few have had the modern exposure to the young people that Maynard did. I hope the tribute band goes well, and I hope our boy finds a worthy lead man to bust the notes. By the way, I have most of Maynards releases.

7. thebugleboy

Dec 10, 2008
    Deep South
    By the way, did you know that it was Maynard Ferguson who nudged Bill Chase into the high note and power performer that he became? While in Kenton's band (I believe Ferguson was 1st chair), Maynard pressured Chase quite a bit because he didn't have the range or the staying power or the projection to keep up with the lead. Maynard virtually sent him packing (expletive quotes deleted), and when Bill showed up performing again (I believe about a year later), he had that range and power which made his famous sound. Sometimes it takes some real pressure to get a man or woman to pull out that depth that's hidden even from himself. So in some powerful ways Ferguson made Bill's career come alive.

8. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    Yes, I did know that. Actually did a paper on it! HAHA. Chase changed a mpc, did some practicing, and had a fire lit under his butt. I think sometimes we all need a reality check.

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Bear,

can we change the order? He got the fire lit, started practicing and THEN got the mouthpiece. It wasn't the hardware, it was the challenge. It is hard to compare Ferguson and Chase. One was the master of shakes and the other scales........... :evil:

10. TheRiddler

TheRiddler Pianissimo User

Oct 8, 2006
    USA
    Wow... how is the project going?