Do you like the music you play?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Dale Proctor, Jan 22, 2014.

1. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    That's the question. Mainly directed to those of you who play in bands/orchestras where you have no choice in music selection. Lately, I'm not getting much pleasure out of playing with any of the groups I belong to. The music is either uninteresting, not worth the effort, too easy to be very musical, too schlocky, not arranged very well, too repetitive/percussive, etc. I go through the motions of rehearsals but a lot of the stuff just seems to lay there, and I get little enjoyment or satisfaction playing through it.

Of course, there is some music thrown into the mix that I like, and I guess that's why I keep doing it. Just sitting here before bedtime thinking out loud on the computer, though. Anyone else get tired of the same old same old? I'm sure this will pass as it usually does, but sometimes I just think I might be more happy just playing solos in a crappy big band...:whistle:

2. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Interesting question. I tend to be able to find something I like in almost everything I play or have played, or at least I try to. There are situations though where frustration with some other aspects have made it less than enjoyable. I did some time in a community concert band where overall I had a good time, but man, there were nights where I just wasn't digging it. I've been pretty spoiled over the years and have played in some really tight ensembles with some fine, fine musicians. I've been privileged enough to gig with some true world-class players, and where due to their involvement, it just made the music jump. By contrast, you don't always get that out of a community college concert band. :)

Music for me took a major turn for the better when I added another instrument into it. When I started drumming regularly, it was something totally new, and reignited a spark for music that I'd lost for a while.

There are always going to be tunes that I'd simply rather not play, but I always try to put my best into them anyway and try to find a way to enjoy what I'm doing.

3. tjcombo

tjcombo Forte User

Nov 12, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    Certainly is an interesting question Dale. Ever since I started out as a junior member of a brass band, I've enjoyed playing music that I wouldn't choose to listen to for enjoyment. Of course there was stuff that was a bit tedious, but you have to take the good with the bad. Almost fifty years on my listening tastes have broadened, but by and large the situation is the same.
    Have you thought about doing something in a more creative line? Maybe doing some recording or even writing some tunes? Sounds like you need a new angle to kick things along.

Maybe you just need to shop for another horn to liven things up? :-)

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    When I was living in Germany I must have played Bach's Christmas Oratorio about 75 times in 15 years, sometimes twice a day in different venues, and never got tired of it. Handel's Messiah and Jephthah were boring and a real exercise in staying awake. Playing classical music, I usually got called for pieces that required some very competent trumpet playing. Played Carmina Burana in Paris and an open air performance in Freiburg in front of 30,000 people.

My worst gig was playing some schlocky patriotic cantata in the States. Bad music, bad conductor. The next time they called I set an enormous price for my service. Never got called from them again.

5. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Yes, and that is why I go back as well.

You can always aim for a Fantastic, cohesive, intuitive Big Band!!

It will pass, just continue to think that it would not sound as good without you. That is after all what constitutes a Band of musos.... the good and the bad.
    Cheers

6. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    I'm of a similar mind to most or all of the responses so far. Especially interesting though I find is trying to play music I would never have imagined I'd be playing, as well as I can. For example "Walk like an Egyptian", "Love Shack" and "Crossroads".

Other bands have played music I just need an antidote from after every session! But mostly is good.

--bumblebee

7. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    Dale, I feel your pain. After many years playing in Brass Bands, I was sat in a rehearsal, listening to the back row cornets go over the same few bars again and again, when it hit me. I had had enough of playing the same stuff over and over. Getting the same pieces out every year for the summer programme etc., so I left. Sold my tenor horn, bought a trumpet and joined an Orchestra and a Concert Band. I still help out brass bands now and then, but am much happier playing a wider variety of music. And not having to be playing every week end (sometimes 3 jobs) is a bonus.

8. rankamateur

rankamateur Mezzo Forte User

May 1, 2013
    Merry Ol' England
    Brass bands are a real bind! And I agree a lot of the music is naff! I know it's not the attitude but I don't care: I'm only answerable to myself now. I decide what music I play because I only play for my own amusement these days, so yes, I like the music I play! That doesn't necessarily include exercises and technical stuff.

9. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Not always.

Regarding the OP's dilemma, I think that at some point, you've just played so much that things (whether or not they are the same titles) just start recycling and unless it's "Rite of Spring" or "Don't Get Sassy" that can get to be a problem of, "here we go again" (yawn).

Other times, there are just pieces I don't value. Not much you can do about it except try to find things in them, or even in extra-musical things like the environment, scenery, male/females in the audience - whatever - that you can add to the musical performing that allows you to compensate.

What I like the least, is when I have to conduct music or genres that I don't really like because there's such a big demand for it either from within a band or from the audience. When those times come, I just try not to feel resentful or that the whole thing's a big drag and get into the performance, anyway. It'll be over soon enough. ;-)

10. odd67ar

odd67ar Pianissimo User

Apr 30, 2010
    Oslo, Norway
    Mostly I like the music whatever I play,but not allways the conductors.
    Most of my life I have been the only trumpetplayer in the bands,but after I passed 70
    I have joined an orchestra with mostly musicians that just play for the fun of playing.
    But the conductor choose,in my opinion to difficult music for the orchestra.It
    would be much more fun for all of us if he choose easier arrangements that everybody could play.
    :-(