Do you like the music you play?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Dale Proctor, Jan 22, 2014.

1. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    That's an issue I have, too much overreaching on the part of a director. I've had it in wind ensemble and I've had it in big band. My personal philosophy is to pick music that a group can play about 80% correct on the first run through. That's a good rule of thumb to judge the capability of the group on that particular music and also to pace the remaining rehearsals. I hate to get into situations (and it's happened all too often) where the group and leader are scurrying frantically trying to get it all together when the director has just shot himself in the foot. Too much stress and not enough music making. I'd rather take my time in a non-tense atmosphere refining the musical expression than sinking frantically still working on technical stuff with a performance imminent.

2. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    I play in a big band that now and then programs some charts that are not my favorite, but even though I'd rather be throwing some heat, I realize it's not my band and I am grateful for a place to play at all (especially as a comeback guy). I am just a cog in the gear and if the band is going to sound good then I have to squeeze the most out of my part that I can. That's what professionals do. Play the part they put on your stand and play the hell out of it... then go to the next one. Ultimately if you seriously don't like the band or the programming then you should just quit and find a band that plays what you like. Or, better yet, start a band of your own and have fun keeping 20-60 guys happy.

Or, I just pass the lead part off to someone else and sit out! <--- my fave

3. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    That's one of my complaints. Music that's too difficult for the group, that barely comes together (or not) right at concert time. The performance is on the ragged edge, and lacks musicality at the expense of getting the technical aspects right. Why attrempt to play music that still has a possibility of a crash and burn during the concert? It's much better to play an easier piece well and musically than to hack through a piece that you can barely play. The audience wants to listen to something that's musical and well-done. In general, they don't care how difficult it is to play.

The other extreme is music that's easy. Stuff that I sight read about as well as I'll ever play it, and surely by a 2nd or 3rd play through, I've got it. But...there are players/sections that have trouble with some part of it, so it's rehearsed to death. Over and over, same problems, and I suppose the problem players may never be able to play it (beyond their abilities), or aren't interested enough to practice it. It really gets boring at times.

The Civil War band business has really slowed, so we haven't been rehearsing much for the past few months. We've been invited to perform at the GABBF this summer, so we had a rehearsal the other night to go over some new music. Some recently-discoverd band books with tunes that probably haven't been played for close to 150 years. That's cool, but after playing through a bunch of them, maybe the books should have stayed lost...:lol: I forgot how terrible those old horns are...leaky, stuffy, out of tune. What an effort is required to play them! All the lipping and forcing a decent tone is such a job compared to playing a modern instrument. Again, I find myself thinking "What's the use?".

Anyway, this will probably pass. I just wondered if others of you ever felt like sliding the trumpet case under the bed and forgetting the whole thing, at least for a while. I suppose at 35 years since my comeback, the new has finally worn off.

4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Well, having just recently joined a community band, I haven't been around long enough and so I'm doing a lot of sightreading. Some of the tunes I've never heard of. After we play it I know why. There are plenty of clunker arrangements to go around I guess. Some of the long time members groan when the conductor calls a certain song, so it's not an uncommon feeling. I run into boredom at church though. The fun part though is with singers that aren't musicians! We never do the same song the same way twice! ROFL!

5. sj3209

sj3209 Piano User

Nov 22, 2006
    Amador County, Calif.
    What is your absolute favorite music to listen to? I realized recently that I was working on stuff that I would never listen to. I was doing it because it was accessible. So I decided to go another direction. I have a feeling that I'll never sound like Tom Harrell, Woody Shaw, Art Farmer or a bunch of really tasty improvisers. But at least I'm working on stuff that I like listening to. The next step is to find a small group of like minded people and whether we get paid really doesn't matter. Comments?

6. rankamateur

rankamateur Mezzo Forte User

May 1, 2013
    Merry Ol' England
    That's what Music Minus One ans similar are for.

7. rankamateur

rankamateur Mezzo Forte User

May 1, 2013
    Merry Ol' England
    Can't you jazz things up a bit? A jar of wolf spiders released at just the right moment might liven things up in the choir section.

8. harleyt26

harleyt26 Mezzo Forte User

Dec 9, 2009
    Summerfield,Fl.
    I only like playing about 20% of the music we play in the community band I play in. But most of the music is requested by the supporters of the band. I am not very good (yet) so this stuff is still good practice for me till I get better and can then play more of what I like. I can relate to so many of the comments posted here.

9. gbshelbymi

gbshelbymi Mezzo Piano User

Jan 3, 2013
    Travelers Rest, SC
    Well I guess I'm pretty lucky. Our Brass Band is led by a very competent and rather prolific composer / arranger. We play a very wide diversity of musical styles, from classical transcriptions, stuff from the movies, jazz, big band, pop/rock, marches, and more traditional brass band literature. Examples: for our halloween concert, we played our director's arrangement of "Devil Went Down to Georgia" with a guest violinist and vocalist. And, our director wrote new arrangements of the Psycho prelude / opening credits music, as well as the Shower Scene that the violinist also assisted with. For our spring concert this year, we'll be playing the day before St. Patrick's Day and will have one of the best traditional Irish bands as our guest artists, with whom we will be playing some joint arrangements, again written by our director. So, it's kind of hard to get bored with what we do.

10. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    The band all eats at Taco Bell if we want to liven things up. We blame it on the flute player!!