Do you like the music you play?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Dale Proctor, Jan 22, 2014.

1. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Yeah, that's the type of stuff I don't want to play in brass band. I guess I'm too much of a traditionalist, but if I wanted to play pop music, I'd join the local community band. We do too much pop and don't play enough serious music to satisfy me. I don't mind throwing in a pop piece here and there, but many of our concerts feature it, with various themes for each concert. At the other extreme, we used to have a director who liked to arrange music, so we played nothing but his orchestral transcriptions. I was to the quitting point when the board let him go, so I wasn't alone. Playing nothing but string parts had me pulling my hair (what's left of it) out. There's so much good, powerful, brass band music out there that I have no idea why we feel the need to "spice it up" with so much music transcribed from other sources. If it's to attract larger audiences, it isn't working...

2. bamajazzlady

bamajazzlady Mezzo Forte User

May 16, 2011
    To the OP what made you a traditionalist as you seem to be a staunch one.

3. VentureScore

VentureScore Pianissimo User

Jan 24, 2013
    Anchorage, AK
    Dale,

Talk to a couple of the guys you respect in whatever band you're playing in, start a brass quintet! There's a ton of literature in just about every genre there is, , the music can be super technical, or just fun.
    Quintets have been the most consistently satisfying penance experiences I've ever had (yes, there have a handful of performances that were better) - but a good quintet is an amazing thing when the players really get synced together.

4. Dale Proctor

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I used to play in a quintet, and it morphed into the Civil War band I play in. We still have all the charts (quite an extensive collection), but no one in the group really wants to work on/play the quintet stuff any more - there are so many more paying gigs and other opportunities available with the CW stuff. I don't have any desire to start a quintet myself, and I've made it known to one of the better ones in town that I'd like to be considered if there's an opening, since I heard there might be one. Nothing's ever come of that, though. I don't want to sound elitist, but I have no desire to play in a quintet where I'm the best player. I want the others to be equal, if not better than I am. I've played in a couple throw-together ones in the past and it's really frustrating to have relatively easy charts vetoed or played badly because some of the members can't hack them. If it's a matter of needing to woodshed a part, that's cool, but most of the time it seems to be a basic skill-level problem, and there's no easy/quick fix for that. It's one of things you can tell pretty quickly, you know?

Bamajazzlady, I suppose I've always liked for different types of groups to play to their unique genre of music. That's where their streingth is. The audience may gravitate toward preferring one genre of music or another, but I know I'd be disappointed if I showed up to hear a brass band concert and all they played were show tune medleys and pop music transcriptions. It's not the real thing, if you catch my drift. Sure, some of that's ok to lighten up a concert, but I like to play serious music, too.

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Last fall we played Gangrene Style (;-)) and Shipping Up To Boston. The latter wasn't too bad but the former…

6. Dale Proctor

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Ugh...try to maintain your dignity...:lol:

7. bamajazzlady

bamajazzlady Mezzo Forte User

May 16, 2011
    tobylou8 while I dig malapropism in jest you do mean Gangnam Style

8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Yes but it was a rotten (;-)) arrangement! :roll:

9. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    In the rock band I like about 95% of what we play.
    In the quintet (patterned after Canadian Brass) it's about 99%.
    In the big band it's about 90% (no vocals!)
    in the swing band it's about 50%, which is why I think I'm leaving that group soon.

10. mgcoleman

mgcoleman Mezzo Forte User

Jun 22, 2010
    Iowa
    Amen.