Do you like the music you play?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Dale Proctor, Jan 22, 2014.

1. Lionelsax

Lionelsax Mezzo Piano User

May 8, 2013
    Music is made to be yours even if it doesn't come from you. So if you like yourself you should like what you play.

2. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    I would never go, by choice, to any concert with the music I'm playing in community band.

However! It is still a challenge for me to play and play well the music that I'm playing. As I get better, I notice I get more first parts and I even get the occasional solo. I figure it'll take me another ten years to come to the point of "ho hum, no more challenge". I can then join another band, switch, lots of possibilities.

I more like to play than anything else, and there's a certain amount of "I don't care what it is, if it's not boring or ANOTHER DAMNED SOUSA MARCH, I'll play it!" (Guess what the conductor is really fond of?)

Tom

3. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK

You need to ease up on the medication.

4. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    You tell yourself that when the swing band leader skips right over the 100's of great charts in the book and calls
    for another f'in POLKA!

5. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I do like myself, and if I had total control over what I played, I would like what I played. The only way I'll ever have total control over what I play, however, is if I stay home and play what I want. I'm not ready to become a musical recluse, though, so I'll have to put up with the usual ensemble music/personnel crap. That's what this rant is about, I suppose.

Yeah, Tom, I wouldn't want to be in the audience for some of the things I play. Challenging or not, some of it still stinks. The more I dislike a piece of music, the less tolerance I have for the challenge of playing it. Don't get me wrong, though...every once in a while, I get to play a real gem of a piece, and that makes it worth playing through all the chaff to get there. There just seems to be too much chaff lately...;-)

6. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    They say variety isthe spice of life, and there's twenty hundredweight of truth in a ton of that saying... So far, I've got the impression that you've been involved in a number of groups doing more or less the same thing... so your recipe "playing a few solos in a crappy big band" might work. For myself, I've just started as new trumpets-only group aiming at a commercial market, doing fanfares and light accompaniments for civic events and such. We had our first gig last Monday - New Year's Reception at a local museum, playing newly composed fanfares and such stuff - and we've pulled in eight new gigs in consequence; and even the change of outfits - we don't play in anything boring, but a new, rather racy outfit. Name of the group is KObrassssss (yes, that's correct: The two car identifier letters for the town of Korneuburg, and many s's because our logo is a Kobra holding a bugle): Black shirts with the Kobra embroidered over the back and on the shirt pocket, black pants with yellow lightning conductor stripes and a red tie forked at the bottom!
    Will post pics as soon as we get them (first gig was still without the outfit...).

7. Lionelsax

May 8, 2013
    The question was : do you like the music you play ?
    If you don't like what you play it means you have never played. Or maybe you let others play when you are pretending playing.
    When you play for real you should like what you play.
    Can I repeat the word "play" ?

8. rankamateur

rankamateur Mezzo Forte User

May 1, 2013
    Merry Ol' England
    What is the sound of one hand clapping?

9. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    Dang! That must have been one sweet thrill :-)

10. Lionelsax

May 8, 2013
    It sounds like the wind.

How many injured did you make ?