Do you like the music you play?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Dale Proctor, Jan 22, 2014.

1. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    As such, I'll suggest you play Moonlight On The Potomac as is a Waltz, alluded to be the first song commercially published as composed by .... John Philip Sousa. Otherwise, there is lots of music I wouldn't want to play, but for a C-note ($100) in my cup, I'd play anything that I've available music for or you provide.

2. Lionelsax

Lionelsax Mezzo Piano User

May 8, 2013
    We are talking about music, not about prostitution.

3. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    You know, I'm a professional writer, a technical writer, and I write whatever my boss tells me to. Is that also prostitution?

For many people, music is how they make their living... it is, in fact, the day job. That entails, sometimes, playing whatever you're told to play, whether you like it or not. Sure, it's better if you have the opportunity to like it, but that doesn't always happen.

Tom

4. Lionelsax

Lionelsax Mezzo Piano User

May 8, 2013
    If you do it for free, it is not, but you need to live, and sometimes you get payed for something you didn't like to do that why your boss doesn't do it on his own.

5. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    Dale, my brother, I feel you--I really do. I currently play in 2 community bands and on-call with a local symphony (any time they need a substitute or a 3rd trumpet). One of the community bands is no fun, parts assigned strictly according to seniority, but the director throws just enough my way to keep me coming back. But typically the music he selects is boring. About once a month I walk out swearing that I'll never go back. Someday I'll actually do it. The other band has more fun music, but some of it is overly simple and the musicians are not as proficient. No plans to quit, but I do hate those concerts where we "try" to play something the group hasn't mastered. The symphony--well I come in do one or two rehearsals and the performance--I'm in and I'm out. Nothing that really challenges but it's an enjoyable gig. Anyway, like you I usually feel unfulfilled and have decided that when I actually retire (2 years, 2 months, 24 days) I'm going to recruit a drummer, a bass player, and probably a girl singer and I'm going to pick the music that I like to play. Who knows, I may actually make a little money along the way.
    So, hang in there and do what makes you feel right, life is to short to do anything else.

6. rankamateur

rankamateur Mezzo Forte User

May 1, 2013
    Merry Ol' England
    What does the wind sound like?

7. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    Because I'm the professional, and as a professional I do what I am paid to do as long as it is ethical. If I think my boss is wrong, I'll tell him, but it's my job to write the manuals. Software manuals aren't the most exciting things in the world.

I can't tell why you're saying what you're saying, so I'll give up now.

Tom

8. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    If you had ever actually listened to the wind, you would know...;-)

9. tjcombo

tjcombo Forte User

Nov 12, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    It's not pretty being easy :-)

The first regular paid gig I had years back taught me the "3 for them 1 for us rule". Play the stuff that audience wants to hear and slip in the occasional number that indulges the band. It's literally a case of paying the piper and calling the tune.

One of the great factors in performance is context. .. even when playing a lousy cover of a piece crap, seeing a crowd up and dancing their butts off is a buzz, and a complement for the band.

10. rankamateur

rankamateur Mezzo Forte User

May 1, 2013
    Merry Ol' England
    I know what hot air 'sounds' like: there's plenty of this on this forum!