Do you like the music you play?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Dale Proctor, Jan 22, 2014.

1. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I see you picked up on my vibe, even in Merry Ol' England...

2. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
  3. Dale Proctor

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    That's pretty nice, Richard. Sounds like something fun to play. That brought to mind the elective piece we played at NABBA last year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TM2_Da0CoZQ

I enjoyed playing it, and I would post our recording of it, but it's copyrighted by NABBA.

4. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    Dale, I like this VERY much :)

P.S. You are going to have to sell some horns. Your stable list's font is so small if you buy any more, I won't be able to read it ;)

5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Way back when I was in high school, I pretty much enjoyed all the music we played except for one song which I field choreographed. Yeah, then we were loaded with marches and a lot of other genres ... just about any music we could get and transpose for the instruments we played. When I first got into the high school band in 8th grade, I was playing a school French horn which I never felt comfortable with albeit I liked it's sound. Then we had just 36 in the band and 3 majorettes. When I graduated, then playing trumpet and occasionally other brass, we had 84 in band, 7 majorettes, 12 flag twirlers, and a color guard and all were cohesive performers and directed well IMO.

The song I did not like was Goodnight Irene a song (waltz) by Huddie "Lead Belly" Ledbetter, later adapted by the Weavers whose lyrics were more popular. With all the others who recorded it, I may be the only one who doesn't like it. Even the audience of our performance liked it, including our having a brass bed brought quickly onto the field in which one of our majorettes got into dressed in a nightgown and cap.

Dale, the one gig I'm sure you like is SA at Christmas time. I did, and would now if my health allowed it.

6. Dale Proctor

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Yep, I enjoyed the SA gig a lot, for many reasons. I hope to keep doing it. I even played with their small brass band last summer for a fund-raiser (Christmas in July) at a baseball game.

Richard, I probably do need to get rid of a few of them. Deciding which ones is tough, but the 1962 Conn 5A Victor and 1907 Besson Chicago Bore are probably at the top of the "soon to be sold" list right now. I'll list them in the marketplace when I'm sure I want to say goodbye to them.

7. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    Dale - when I started in a brass band last year I really enjoyed the music, it was a challenge and I know it has made me a better player. Now that we have entered the Grand Rapids gig we are going over the contest pieces it is extremely boring. I can't wait to get past contest to start playing a variety of tunes again. I used to play in a decent quintet and this brass band reminds me of quintet music. Hope you work your way through this funk, I'm going to stick to the band and look forward to after Grand Rapids.

8. cleandog

cleandog Pianissimo User

Dec 22, 2013
    Rogers, Arkansas
    I am throwing this out there for all of you who have contributed to this thread. If the gig and music is getting old to you, what music or venue would you like to play which would excite you?

I have enjoyed lurking and reading what you all post very interesting.

Thanks

9. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    I am lucky to play with 4 bands, a Concert Band, Big Band, Light Orchestra and a Deep Brass Group (yep no trumpets). This is a good mix of music, and although some items can be repetitive, mostly it is good fun. And the audience is the target, not me. As long as they are having fun, and I am enjoying it and having fun, then all is well with the world.

The Concert Band is a resident band at a Museum, and we play about once a month there, with completely separate books to our normal music, so is all sight read on the spot. Fun and panic all in one. Great fun. Normal rehearsals Sat mornings. Playouts on Sundays. 3 to 4 Concerts a year. Band's been going for 30 years

Big Band is Thursday evenings, maybe 3 concerts a year. More social and group playing. Band's been going about 25 years.

Light Orchestra has demanding music, lots of pros in this band, and only 3 to 4 rehearsals before a gig. Rehearsals on Tuesday evening, when they are required. Maybe 3 gigs a year.

Deep Brass Group is a new Group of about 10 players. Range from beginners (with good skills and range) to experienced players, rehearsals on Sundays. This does a lot for developing listening/tuning skills, and chords.

In the end, I just have to make the best sound that I can, and if I don't enjoy a tune. or a gig, then there's always next time.
    Cheers

10. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    In my case, it's more a case of some of the pieces, chosen by someone else, not ringing my bell, than a difference music or venue. To list the ones I don't like and then to offer alternatives I do like is too much minutiae for this thread (for me). It's a matter of perceived quality, which is highly subjective, I realize.

Well, one caveat - no more Glenn Miller. :evil: