Do you like the music you play?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Dale Proctor, Jan 22, 2014.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Not sure about that one, but here is the sound of a one finger snap... not so understated if you ask me.
    Herbie Hancock - One Finger Snap - YouTube

2. sounds7

sounds7 Forte User

Sep 4, 2004
    New Orleans
    There is a good bit of work in my neck of the woods for brass musicians. I would say 99% of the time I am playing publicly it is for some sort of pay. I would say it works out to about 60/40 for me as far as whether I enjoy the music being presented or not. Not all the gigs I play are for the love of the music.
    Perhaps I have been playing certain styles too long and just go on auto pilot on those kinds of gigs. For example a "roast beef" jazz gig where the band is musical wallpaper for a party doesn't especially give me great enjoyment even though I consider myself a jazz player. I tend to enjoy new challenges the most , sight reading and blowing over chord changes of a song I have never seen before is fun for me to do live on the gig. Recently I have been getting a lot of work in horn sections that play music I would never listen to the style of music on the radio myself. Its more like stuff my wife would listen to but those gigs often pay the best. I think I try to look for balance and try to take enough gigs that I really look forward to regardless of the pay. It offsets those "less fulfilling" jobs that I am just doing for the bread. Lately when I come home, I just practice something I would never play on a gig to give myself a release. It has been Charlier etudes on C trumpet lately. In a perfect world I would have a number of my own CD's out and would be touring when I want, playing what I want, when I want. I guess from conversations I have had with friends who are big touring stars they tell me their world is not all its cracked up to be either and it is a very hard life. The grass is always greener on the other side sort of thing. I do recall having a pretty bad time on one tour that lasted 2 months once. Thats when I knew the road wasn't for me.

3. Lionelsax

Lionelsax Mezzo Piano User

May 8, 2013
    In this album, it's said that Freddie Hubbard plays the cornet, does it sound like a cornet ?

4. Lionelsax

May 8, 2013
    I used to do that for years in many gigs, and chords were written for Bb instruments, I was playing the alto saxophone and had to transpose in my head... Until I've learned some tunes on the guitar, piano or bass.
    Now it's a bit easier, I just think in degrees, VI II V I major and minor, cycle of fifths, etc.
    But I'm still a beginner and less than a beginner since Youtube was born... And I understand that I have never played.

5. sounds7

sounds7 Forte User

Sep 4, 2004
    New Orleans
    So you are a Sax player that is beginning the trumpet?

6. Lionelsax

May 8, 2013
    Yes, I'm a saxophonist.

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Wow... I must be liking the music I am playing. I just received one of the greatest compliments I ever received by the owner (not manger) of the Blue Wisp, in Cincinnati, who rarely comes in during evening hours after our gig last night. He stopped in mid conversation with the manager when I was passing by, touched my shoulder and looked me directly into the eye and asked, "Are you Clifford Brown? Man you sure sound like Clifford Brown. Never thought I would meet the man incarnate, but here you are in front of me, so this is what Clifford Brown now looks like". Man that just blows me away!!!

8. sounds7

sounds7 Forte User

Sep 4, 2004
    New Orleans
    Cool me too. I started the other way around however. I have been told that it is a very frustrating journey for a Sax player to come to play the trumpet. Good luck to you and good to see another doubler on the forum.

9. sounds7

sounds7 Forte User

Sep 4, 2004
    New Orleans
    @ Gary

Thats one hell of a compliment. The only player I have heard in these parts sound anything close to Clifford Brown is Leroy Jones.

10. Lionelsax

May 8, 2013
    I play the flute too, it's easier, I started a month before I started the cornet, now I can play. The problem with the cornet is that I've got very strong lips because of the saxophone so they are not so flexible. But I know I can adapt the technique.