Do you like the music you play?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Dale Proctor, Jan 22, 2014.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Hey you guys have good linage behind you. Kenny Dorham started out as a sax player, and man, he has one of the most soulful and pleasing unique sounds I have ever heard on the trumpet.

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Man, we had the bebop going like mad last night, "new" old charts that I haven't played in years, and it just felt so good. Of course, when your rhythm section is also hitting on all cylinders, how can you not be driven to sounding good. Thanks my friend.

3. DaveH

DaveH Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    I think my views on this topic have changed over time and with age. Because I don't play for a living, I can make the following comments with less difficulty than someone in other circumstances...

In terms of liking what I played and playing what I liked, I have played music I liked at lot at the time, but later came to like less. I have played music I liked a lot at the time I probably won't have any interest in today. If I were performing today, I would be most interested in playing music I played many years ago at a certain point in time, but not so much other kinds of music. I have probably come full circle in my interests and tastes over a period of nearly 45 years.

Today, I would need to be in control of the music selection. That would probably mean organizing and running my own group - or at least hooking up with like minded individuals. Working with other players with whom I share certain common goals, interests, preferences, and tastes. That was the situation in what I consider to be the most successful and rewarding performing situation in which I have been involved in my lifetime. I have had many other experiences; all of which, when looking back from hindsight, were somewhat less rewarding and enjoyable. Not necessarily all negative; in fact, some very good experiences, but often less than that optimum situation.

As in many things, when you are working for someone else, or in a situation that you do not completely control, or you do not have a significant voice or influence, there will be compromises. You will find yourself, as I have had to do, deciding how far to take those compromises before it isn't worth it, should such be the case.

4. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Today I was invited to join a new "classical" brass group that is forming. I said I was flattered, but I'm not wanting to add another thing to do right now. Not even if I dropped another group. And,...that would probably be another case of not liking a lot of the music choices that would be made by others. I've been thinking about this a little more, and while I find satisfaction in playing a piece well, it's still not much fun if I don't get anything else out of it. In addition to liking the music, I think I'd like to play an embedded solo now and then, which doesn't happen when you're playing 2nd parts (except in big bands). I don't really want to play 1st part, but I suppose most music is written/arranged assuming the 1st part players are the only ones who are good enough to handle a solo. A group is not very good if that is true, as you need strong players on all parts. Anyway, just thinking out loud a bit more about the state of ensemble playing.

5. DaveH

DaveH Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    I think we agree.

I want to have fun and enjoy the experience and the memory. If I don't care for the music for whatever reason, I don't have much fun. I can clearly remember once such situation I got myself into many years ago, and I got out of it in a matter of just a couple months. A big part of that was a pretty big difference in musical tastes, likes, interests, etc. Often in group or band situations, personalities can play a very big role in addition to music.

I have a hard time finding the necessary motivation, and putting in the time, effort, and sacrifice for something I don't really want to do. Or with people I don't enjoy. Again, I can be selective, because I'm my own boss. I can do that. I am quite aware not everyone can do that, however.

6. Dale Proctor

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Well, I haven't been able to play for a week. Giant fever blister in the center of my lower lip...tried to play at a rehearsal last week and couldn't even get a buzz to happen. Packed up and went home, really frustrating (and a little embarrassing). Tried it again before leaving for brass band rehearsal the next day, and still couldn't hardly play a note, so I had to cancel. It makes you realize how fragile this trumpet playing stuff is. Didn't touch the horn again until last night. We had an OTB rehearsal to audition a new bass player, so I needed to be there. I could play sort of ok, but it wasn't healed yet and the mouthpiece was bloody after about 5 minutes.

Had another rehearsal tonight, and gave it another try. No blood this time, and I could play anything I wanted. The music didn't really matter - I didn't think about whether I liked it or not, I was just having a good time being able to play again and did my best on every note. Like the old song says, "You don't know what you got 'till it's gone", and I think I'll let this be a little lesson to me. :-)

7. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I read the first three pages of this thread ... then cheated and jumped to the end. Honestly, I have always thought that your ( Dale's) schedule seemed really busy. I probably could find some bands to join but I work nights and free time is a premium. I wonder if that has something to do with it. There is a guitar combo that has me sit in and doodle while they play 70's acoustic rock songs ... and yes it's fun but I limited to a few songs .. then sat back down with my wife and had a few beers. You know, life.

8. odd67ar

odd67ar Pianissimo User

Apr 30, 2010
    Oslo, Norway
    I thought 2.nd chair was the soloist chair.In the big bands I have played in, did I never play lead but allmost all the solos

9. Dale Proctor

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    It is. I tried to make that distinction in my post:

10. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I've concluded that I've played far far less than 1% of the songs available worldwide, and less than 5% of those I've the music for, the latter even if it is mostly for vocal/piano/guitar which I've no problem playing on my Bb and F pitched instruments. I've now 3 plastic tubs full of piano music, stacked double in each tub, and that doesn't include the piano books and Hymnals on my shelf. As mostly I play for self enjoyment and share some with close friends and relatives there isn't a whole lot I don't like or I wouldn't have yet played them. I first hum or whistle a song before I decide to play it, and even then there is a NEXT that I haven't played.