Do you love -- or maybe hate disco music?

Discussion in 'TM Lounge' started by MUSICandCHARACTER, May 14, 2004.

1. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
  2. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Cute... has she got a sister? :)

3. MUSICandCHARACTER

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    Probably, where else would the other eye be?

M&C

4. DrunkIQ

DrunkIQ Pianissimo User

Nov 21, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    I remember this one…

It was made in 1999 when everyone was worried about Y2K and some thought the world was coming to an end or that their business would falter… in the end the alien gets killed by the millennium ball…

-marc

5. working-kirk

working-kirk New Friend

Mar 24, 2004
    Okay, I confess! It was me that helped killed disco.

Knowing absolutely no shame, (as you can tell by my auctions) I held a job in a disco as a "Disco Barker" during the 80's

What is a "Disco Barker" you ask?

I would wear a white disco suit and stand outside yelling at people to come inside like one of those barkers for the sex stores on time square only I was selling "DISCO! instead of sex

So for eight hours I would yelled
    North, South, East, West,
    This Disco is the BEST!

We've got music, we've got lights
    and we're glad to have you here TONIGHT!

In the Disco where I work you could count on at least one big fight a night. :shock:

Knifes, guns, gangs, riots you name the type of fight we had it! Meanwhile I would be yelling

"Disco! That's where the happy people go!"

Obviously such a difference between the fantasy and the reality could not continue and within six months, Disco was dead! And you have me to dead for it. As annoying Disco was, it is more annoying to have someone yell in your face about it. So,... I was out of a job and needed another gig.

But Now with my auctions and upcoming cable access show, I can make amends. I can bring back DISCO! Now my question to all of you is should I?

I play Disco on my horn hits like Disco Inferno and if I add my Disco Barking, It should bring back disco and provide work for other trumpet players. So what do you fellow trumpet players think?

6. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    YYYYYYMMMMMMMMMMMCA--That's Faddis, Soloff, Rubin, Gardner and Wise :lol:
    BRING DISCO BACK................please :wink:
    Wilmer

7. MUSICandCHARACTER

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    Re: Okay, I confess! It was me that helped killed disco.

working-kirk ....

Is there ANYTHING you wouldn't do, or haven't done to get work? :wink:

M&C

8. tom turner

tom turner Mezzo Forte User

Oct 25, 2003
    Georgia, USA
    Hi,

When disco hit I was working six nights a week, month after month, as a nightclub musician in Tallahassee Florida.

I can still count the names of the places then in that town that had six-night per week live music . . . well over TWENTY-FIVE PLACES!

Disco sucks! It killed out the live music scene in clubs all over the planet, as club owners chose to boot bands and replace them with sound systems that cost little more than paying the bands for a few weeks worth of work.

Disco died . . . but the live music scene and the boundless employment opportunities never returned either for the nightclub musician . . . especially horn men.

9. working-kirk

working-kirk New Friend

Mar 24, 2004
    Re: Okay, I confess! It was me that helped killed disco.

working-kirk ....

> Is there ANYTHING you wouldn't do, or haven't done to get work? :wink:

M&C[/quote]

With all the clubs closing due to disco and other reasons, I think everyone will have to be willing to do almost anything and everything :wink: :wink:

In the past three months, I know of two clubs that have stopped having live music in Portland where I live.
    The fact I am getting gigs. (lots of weddings where someone decided to get married at the last minute and want a trumpet player at that last minute,)
    I am making a living (barely) with the ecomony sinking like a rock and clubs closing says something about either my persistence, talent or luck or maybe all three.
    And I am getting to become known among trumpet players and the people of Portland says a lot about me.

I have had over 250 jobs before I stopped counting. (It is depressing to think you can't hold a job.) There have been very bad jobs and very good jobs, as well as strange and interesting. The shortest was I got three jobs in a day and fired before lunch from all of them. THe longest averaged about 3 years. At least one of the best was my last. I was a system analyst. I can't say the name because of non-disclosure (But I am allowed to put in on my resume as long I add I was working as a contractor. Think big computers and think of three letters.) That lasted a year and a half. It was a good gig cause I got to play my horn on the job. :D

Now, it is no more jobs. It "Gigs" for me. Disco seems like a good gig, especially if I can bring it back. Of course I tried to bring back vaudeville and you can see what happened in my auctions. Anyway Disco is bound to be one of my adventures on cable tv and Ebay auctions in THE LAND OF TRUMPET!