Do you need to be able to double and/or triple tongue to be a competent player?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Trumpet-Golfer, Feb 25, 2009.

1. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    I think those who don't double or triple are the exception to the rule...but if you can cover everything with single tongue then go for it!

I always heard that Rafael Mendez didn't double or triple tongue, just single:
    YouTube - Rafael Mendez - Scherzo in D minor

2. Bachstul

Bachstul Mezzo Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    If your going to BEGIN practicing double tonging. Play it slowly, then pick up the tempo. Don't over play for long, because you will be using larynx muscles that are not built up. If you over do it in the early days, your throat will feel as if you have strep.

3. Rushtucky

Rushtucky Pianissimo User

Sep 15, 2008
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    The above is somewhat true, however if you want to be a proficient trumpeter, and I am assuming that you do, master the tonguing techniques, don't limit yourself.

If I may suggest, get Allen Vizzutti's Trumpet Method Book 1, Technical Studies An Intermidiate/Advanced Method. On page 78 it starts with Double Tonguing; page 82 Double Tonguing and page 96 Triple Tonguing. By the way this is an excellent book and a good suppliment to Arbans.

4. willbarber

willbarber Piano User

Nov 22, 2008
    Medina, NY
    Was that Mendez guy tonguing everything? It kinda sounded like he was going tongue-slur tongue-slur on the part I listened to...

5. Rushtucky

Rushtucky Pianissimo User

Sep 15, 2008
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Mendez really thrived on tonguing and slurring techniques. When I was in college studying trumpet, we had one of his basic books. Really hit all of the tonguing techniques hard along with slurring. I will see if I can dig it out and get back to you with the title. (I think I just gave my age away..ha ha)

6. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    It sounds like your double tonguing technique is faulty, Bachstul. Try Dugga.........notice how easy it feels. The ga is close to the front of the tongue. There is NO strain doing it this way, and you can do it all day without tiring.
    Wilmer

7. Trumpet-Golfer

Trumpet-Golfer Pianissimo User

Dec 9, 2008
    Liverpool, England
    BenH
    Here's a brief Bio of my Trumpet teacher:-
    Martin Smith

Instruments
    Flugelhorn, Trumpet
    Description
    One of the busiest - and in demand - trumpeters on the Merseyside jazz scene, Martin leads the up and coming Liverpool jazz quartet, Cushfoot.

Martin began playing at age 14, as trumpet playing was a good excuse to miss French lessons on a Friday. When Digby Fairweather and Stan Barker visited his school, though, he fell under the spell of jazz.

He attended Sandown College of Performing Arts in Liverpool, where he studied with John Harper and Les Bolger.

In addition to jazz, Martin has been involved with dub/reggae, African and Cuban music, salsa, pop and rock. He has played with The Muffin Men, reinterpretting the music of Frank Zappa.

He has also recorded with Space, the Super Furry Animals, The Coral, The Lightening Seeds and The Wizards of Twiddly.

Regarding Rafael Mendez:
    Rafael Mendez learned to triple & double tongue at an early age by his father, as he considered his single tonguing to be too slow.

Here’s an interesting story by Tony Scodwell about two of the all time great trumpeter’s. Rafael Mendez and Harry James:-

I'm guessing on the exact time frame, but when I was with Harry at the Flamingo Hotel in the mid-sixties, RafaelMendez came in to hear the band and say hello to Harry. I HAD to eavesdrop on this conversation when the topic turned to their respective recordings of "Hora Staccato". Mendez asked Harry how in earth did he double tongue that passage after the downward ta-ka, ta-ka, ta-ka, ta-ka, ta-ka, ta-ka, ta-ka, ta-ka line, the passage that comes next. The one where Mendez plays E, E, Bb, Bb, G, G Bb, Bb, E, E, Bb, Bb, G, G, Bb, Bb double tongued, and on to the trill on top space E. Harry looked Mendez straight in the eye and said he singled tongued EVERYTHING, and when you listen to Harry's recording you'll hear him playing that passage like the violin solo, E, Bb, G, Bb, E, Bb, G, Bb etc. Just one of the many spectacular displays of the genius of HarryJames, and you can see and hear him do it on YouTube.
    Tony Scodwell
    Scodwell USA Trumpets and Flugelhorns

8. SpiritDCI08

SpiritDCI08 Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Fort Campbell, KY
    I can single tongue alot of articulations that require my section members to double tongue. But understanding and practicing double and triple tonguing is important. When I improvise in jazz I love to triple tongue in the upper register, and the crowd loves it too.

9. DarkKnight88

DarkKnight88 Pianissimo User

Mar 12, 2008
    Tallahassee/Bradenton, Fl
    I just got done watching the video of this same piece done by Harry. His single tonguing technique is out of this world. I could have sworn that he was double tonguing during that whole piece. But, I guess my ear didn't quite catch it.

10. Sparks

Sparks New Friend

Jan 2, 2009
    Rochester, MN
    Depends on what your playing; I think you can still be a competant player and play musically with tone, dynamics, etc. However, the double and triple tonguing really does come in handy for technical stuff, I can't imagine playing the 4th movement of carnival of venice at reasonable speed without triple tonguing...