Do you really want to hear me?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by codyb226, Feb 7, 2012.

Hear me play?

Poll closed Feb 11, 2012.
  1. Yes

75.0%
  2. No

25.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    Schwab,

That was a good video. I am not looking for a nit picking review of my playing. Yes, I want feedback on how I can improve but I am not looking for "find a new solo." I want the "critics" of my playing as in, "slow down here, seed up there, and any other non-major thoughts/feed back." I have a teacher to go over this solo with and she is a good one too. We are at the point where I am ready for the solo and make it to State.

Rowuk,
    I am do not in any way want to piss you off. But I did not feel that a comment like:
    If it was 8 weeks before the festival, maybe. One week before there is no time to fix broken stuff so I won't say anything. No sense spoiling your fun.

Is of any use in this thread. Okay, you feel that way about this. Thats fine, but I know the solo and wanted an assessment of my playing by my trumpet playing peers. Not being told that I am asking at the wrong time and that you will have no comment is not what I was looking for. Thank you for your time.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2012
  2. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    I think that critique at any point is useful, and we should be aware that although Cody is preparing the solo for a specific event, this does not mean that critique given to him about this piece will not carry on to the rest of his playing. To choose to not give advice simply because of a time frame is, IMO, missing the point. The point is to help Cody learn to play trumpet better, not just the solo, so there is Cody's entire lifetime to "fix broken stuff". He's not going to keel over dead after he plays at festival, I'm assuming.

We should be open to "nit picking" reviews of our playing, however, in response to any recording that we may post. Clearly, a more general approach to the overall feel of the piece will be most appropriate for a young player, but we can't disregard issues of style, articulation, and intonation for that benefit, so the poster posts at their own "risk".

codyb226 likes this.
  3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Mark, problem with a post like this is the poster throws in "whats your favorite color" comments that detract from the post. Then he qualifies what kind of comments he wants! Then the poster takes on not 1 but 2 moderators. The tone of a lot posts lately from young players is just a little towards the arrogant side. Moderators are just that for their knowledge and experience and should be viewed as the valuable resource they are, not challenged like they are morons. Posters have been banned for less. I would like to hear him post his solo, but he voted no to posting! So what is the point of the thread?? :stars::stars::stars::stars::stars: :?::?::?::?::?:

codyb226 likes this.
  4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    My vote is post or lock the thread!

5. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Let's hear it. I've performed and taught many of my students this fun piece.

6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    :thumbsup: Per your PM, looking forward to it!! :thumbsup:

7. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    so choose to NOT submit any more post then!!!!!!!!! --- the whole problem with TM is that a lot of the moderators, and pros, and Trumpet players that have a band --- are NOT always understanding of those who are in high school, or a comeback player, or those who are recreational players that just enjoy playing. As I have said before -- we sometime get comments from "those starched shirts and undershorts crowd" --- who view anything that is played onthe trumpet by anyone --- SHOULD ALWAYS BE PERFECT! I am in the crowd --that the older More experienced players should try to reflect on where the poster is in his trumpet playing life, and perhaps (if offered) what the player plans on achieving in the future -- and POST ACCORDINGLY to the age and experience of the poster --- and NOT ADD some overly critical professional viewpoint of WHAT the poster SHOULD sound like --- but HELP THE POSTER where they are at this moment in their lives, instead of adding some stupid comment like --- "this sounds like BS to me" ------ hey that's my opinion, and that is the only one that matters!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! to me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL

codyb226 likes this.
  8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Not understanding your rational (may need the G man to interpret). If someone is sceared to post audio (or wise ;-)) , then why start a post about whether you should or not?? If I ever get the technology to post audio, I might. I doubt you would confuse me for Arturo or Botti, but one can hope to pickup some pointers. As far as "stuffed shirts" critique of technique is concerned, someone has to know something about it!

9. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    Yes! Easy question. Because I wanted to see if you TM'ers wanted to listen to me or if you didnt think this was the place for it. I dont remember seeing a thread like this and I just wanted to see if you guys were up to it.

10. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    Well there was this thread, recently revived:
    http://www.trumpetmaster.com/vb/f131/videos-recordings-you-playing-37409.html

--bumblebee

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.