Do you really want to hear me?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by codyb226, Feb 7, 2012.

Hear me play?

Poll closed Feb 11, 2012.
  1. Yes

75.0%
  2. No

25.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
  2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Cody,

you DID directly, unmistakably ask for our opinions. I just told you the truth. Look in the mirror, that is how you improve fastest. I have to listen to juvenile approaches at competitions here in Germany too. Many are plagued by the exact same approach and attitude that you present. If I didn't care, I wouldn't post.

Tempo and jump are not the reason that you win or lose.

Man, the kids around here are getting on my nerves.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
  3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    KT this is not fair to the Moderators on this site, many of which teach the very people you state they do not understand. They continue to do this because they are motivated by the successful results they get from their students. I myself currently work with middleschool students, and to hear their daily greatings... It's Dr. O... Hay Dr.O... tells me they're pretty understanding and are going to kick serious butt in their jazz band competition the first weekend in March!

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I would like to weigh in that in my experience working with ALL ages for now over 40 years, a week before a performance is no time to make changes. Such a tact will likely hurt your chances. Cody, Rowuk and Schwab are trying to protect you from this. Because of the outcome you are expecting, please do not post a video. If you wanted to post anything, post the actual performance recorded by a smart phone, then we can provide feedback that would be of value for he next time.

Please respect the fact that the Moderators here are trying to protect and improve the quality of this site.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
  5. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    Gentlemen,
    There is a little over a week before our friend Cody's festival. IMHO, he needs calm and relaxation.
    Now no longer any need to argue wether he posts a recording or not.
    I agree with gmonady's opinion (above). I finally decided to vote "no".
    Peace.
    Mikel

codyb226 likes this.
  6. acarcido

acarcido Forte User

Dec 28, 2009
    Ontario, Ca
    Cody,

I know you're still young and very passionate about your playing and the goals you are striving to achieve. If you want to post your video, post the actual performance and keep in mind that there are many on here that are in my opinion, unqualified to give any type of advice.

Think of it as the American Idol for trumpeters. LOL Now that would be an interesting show to watch. You will have the Simon Cowells, Paula Abduls and the Randy Jacksons. I can already imagine all the positive and negative feedback that would be thrown at you.

I understand you're still at a point in your life where you want to be 'top dog', and there is nothing wrong with that. Although, as you mature, depending on which career path you take. You will see how many different mucisians blend together. Some that are pushy and always want to be the lead player in all settings, over blowing and taking away the feeling behind the music to be heard. Those, will never get asked to return for another performace. I wish I could find a clip of Clark Terry talking about making music and not pushing the music. He even give examples of both. Anyways, good luck and I wish you all the best in your performance.

Art

codyb226 likes this.
  7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    King,
    I think that you are really out to lunch on this.

Think about it, someone asks a question and gets answers from club robinson to old school earn it. Isn't that what a community like TM is about? My personal stand is that the fluff may make someone feel good about CRAP. One thing that ALL of my students develop is a real pride in a GOOD JOB DONE by Working out their problems in a methodical way and ON TIME. When they come up with something last minute, it is because someone else let THEM DOWN. Competitions/Auditions/new seating in band gets worked on as soon as it is announced.

The biggest problem here is the download a solution mentality. Such ignorance needs to be addressed. If you do what you need to do when you are SUPPOSED to, you won't have to when you have no other choices.

As far as understanding goes, I'll say that Mr. Feelgood is the one that does not understand high school, comeback or recreational players. They lull the occasional player into believing things that prevent them from realizing potential. There is so much in life that we can accomplish by simply looking in the mirror and then going out and doing the RIGHT thing.

8. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    AND YET - if the shoe fits!!!!!! --- you say this isn't fair -- BUT here we are in cyber world posting on this relatively anonymous web. Does any of us really KNOW what young CODY wants, or what his goals are in life??? SURE --- some of you along with me, do an occasional PM -- but we aren't really in ANYONES mind to define what they are looking for. TO BE FAIR -- hey moderators, and pros, an trumpet players that have a band ---- that does not single anyone out, per say --- unless you take it personally that you REALLY DONT KNOW WHAT CODY INTENDS TO GAIN OUT OF THIS -- except some arbitrary feedback -- from old fat unknown people on an electric site. YES, I agree that the young poster was asking for an opinion -- but I also (obviously) disagree with the majority that say it is too late, or expect some harsh criticism, etc., etc. etc. ---
    SURE GM (yes, I will point you out directly - cause you can handle this) you have multiple angles of feedback from your students (high fives, apples for the teacher, body language that indicate they respect you, and "love" your teaching, and learn from your demonstration of your knowledge and skill on the horn) -- BUT WE DO NOT HAVE THAT LEVEL of feedback on this web crap -- yes, this web BS, only gives us - 1 (perhaps) edited song, of what a poster wants us to hear -- it is NO WAY defines us as trumpet players, or what our goals are, or what we "actually " expect in the future of playing.

ALL CAN DISAGREE WITH ME --- and such is life!!!!!!!!!!!!! and maybe that is why I never post any video ---

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Wow, which KT are you?

Today:

Only 3 days ago; 02-07-12 7:53 PM #17:

Do you think my personal feedback to you was helpful, encouraging, or was it web crap BS?

I think I do know what Cody NEEDS (I don't give a flying _ what he wants). Experience as full professor teaching at both the undergraduate and graduate levels for over 21 years now has given me some insight as how to provide quality feedback. KT, timing IS everything. Rowuk is RIGHT ON with his assessment, and NOW is NOT the time to provide Cody with usefull feedback from a synthetic recording. Reviewing the REAL performance in REALTIME; that IS where the gold is on providing quality feedback to Cody, that he NEEDS.

The question is: Can YOU handle this?

10. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    Wow KT......
    I am just going to do what Gary suggested. Record the performance so then you can get the piano too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.