Do you transport your vintage trumpet in its original case?

Discussion in 'Vintage Trumpets / Cornets' started by malena, May 18, 2017.

1. malena

malena New Friend

Oct 27, 2015
    Are the old cases protective enough to carry around a trumpet or cornet? Or is it better to put them in a modern case for travel and only use the old case for storage? Does your answer change if it's for a kid? :roll:

I see many nicely restored vintage cases around here but are they practical for transport?

[I'm asking because my kid (I don't play these!) currently totes her old Collegiate in a new case because the original case is flimsy and stinky. We didn't have to think about that much. Now a '50s Conn 80A has joined in and it won't fit in the modern cornet case. If it goes anywhere, it'll have to be in its original case or I buy it a new (trumpet?) case. The Conn case is actually kind of nice and wouldn't take much to get it in presentable condition, but still seems like the cornet rattles around a bit in there...if I'm going to bother to have the dents removed from the horn, I'd like it to be in a secure case. And if I'm gonna bother fixing up that case, I want it to be functional.]

Thanks. Clueless as always. :)

2. OldKing

OldKing Pianissimo User

Aug 20, 2016
    NW of San Antonio
    I'd pull the dents, buy the kid a gig bag, and have a serious chat about watching out for her horn.

All the best for the little lady.

3. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    The older cases are usually made from a solid wood frame, and pretty heavy and solid. If in good condition, and the latches work then no reason not to use it. If you think it has issues, and allows the horn to move around, then don't use it until it is repaired or it may cause more damage.

A case is designed to be snug and secure, and keep accessories separate to the horn. A cornet will not normally fit into a trumpet case, a trumpet will be too long for a cornet case, and a peashooter will probably be too long and narrow for a modern trumpet case. Get something that keeps it secure.

I don't use any of my original cases when I travel for gigs. I use the original for storage at home. I have a cheap gig bag, made from blue nylon and felt covered foam. It has back straps, zippered, twin handles for normal, and an end handle to carry it on an end. It carries all my gear (4 to 5 mutes, reading glasses, valve oil, grease, digital Korg Tuner, 3 mouthpieces, stand lights, spare batteries and a Mute stand that fits in the side pocket. This was about $40 and was sold under a Bandnow Brand. They don't make this particular case any more - they have dropped the storage capacity in the later models. I love this case so much, that I actually bought another off a TM member here (Thanks Tom). It would take me a long time to find a suitable replacement that fits my needs as well as this cheapie.

I have different cases for the type of travel - air travel being most likely to get dents, or lost. So I try to use a Torpedo for air travel.

A soft gig bag is good for working musos or older students who understand their gear. For kids it will not take the hits very well IMO.

Don't worry about the looks for a kid, it does need to be strong, and hold the horn snugly.

4. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    My grandfather had taken very good care of his trumpet and case. I wish, when I was given his trumpet, that I had put the case aside.

That said, I'd put that 80A into a trumpet case such as a Protec and buy a couple of Protec's foam blocks to fill up the empty space.

Nowadays all of my cases are aftermarket. I have a couple of original cases that I could use if I chose but I mostly have them for collectible purposes. I have a super-lightweight Protec case with a mute bag on the side that I use for rehearsals and performances with community bands. I would not recommend it for kids or clumsy adults but I love it.

Tom

5. JRgroove

JRgroove Piano User

Apr 8, 2014
    Kansas City
    I have a similar question. I recently bought an Olds Recording with a fabulous original case. I'm definitely going to set the case aside. Which modern case works well with the Recording?

6. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    The 80A is almost as long as a typical trumpet. It should fit in any modern generic trumpet case as long as it's not a form-fitted one. I bought an 80A with no case and found an old Conn Director trumpet case from the same era (mid '50s). It fits fine - all I had to do was relocate the valve block holder, which involved moving two screws on the underside of the compartment lid.

[​IMG]

7. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    Should work with nearly everything.

Tom

8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I use an original-ish case for my 40B. It's a n upgrade to the original Conn case. I think it is a Gieb, but I'm not sure. I have the horn wrapped in a lot of t-shirts. Protec is an excellent choice if there is no original case for that 80A!

9. JRgroove

JRgroove Piano User

Apr 8, 2014
    Kansas City
    After checking a few of my cases, I found the ol' protec I keep my Getzen in works perfect with the recording. :stars:

10. malena

malena New Friend

Oct 27, 2015
    Thanks all. I appreciate all the perspectives. With this particular kid, a gig bag would probably not be ideal. :) Perhaps some T-shirts or extra padding in the original case is good enough for now. And a trumpet case if she ever decides to take it to school. (What could possibly go wrong?)