Doc and the MO

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by 40cal, Apr 1, 2007.

1. 40cal

40cal Forte User

Dec 13, 2005
    Minnesota
    I had the distinct pleasure of seeing Doc perform with the Minnesota Orchestra today.

I am embarrased by the fact it has been a couple-three years since I have taken in a show at orchestra hall and the FIRST time I have seen Doc live.

I ordered two tickets last night, only because it wouldn't let me take one seat in the middle of a row, so I had to buy the two remaining seats. I gave one ticket to jmichiel and met him at the hall.

Of course, I got off work late this morning, about 7:30 am or so, so I hustled home, got a few winks, then got up and went to Orchestra Hall.

The show, as we would all expect was spectacular. Doc sounded fantastic and the MO was of course just amazing. They played the last mvt. from Tchaik 4 (? My memory is fading in my old age) I cannot recall ever hearing a more fiery rendition. As I listened to Doc his sound gave me the chills. Wow, after listening to him for years on CD's and television to finally hear the legend live is quite the experience.

Doc is certainly an outstanding musician as well as a consumate showman.

Oh, even if I would have had to buy 5 tickets for myself, it would have been worth it to hear Manny rap.

Thanks for the great show.

-Dave

2. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Did he use the Bamboo Veneer?

-cw-

3. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    40cal-

Thanks again for the tickets. That has got to be one of the most memorable concerts I will ever see. Doc's musicality and technique are incredible. The guy is 81 and plays better than most of us ever will. Bravo Doc!

-Jimi

PS. Manny, I'm glad you finally came around on the rap thing. I just wish somebody had gotten a video of it...:evil:

4. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    Not a video of Manny rapping (yet), but here's a pic of the MO trumpet section playing a fanfare that Chuck Lazarus wrote for the occaision. Notice the hip threads.

L to R: Doc, Manny, Bob Dorer, Doug Carlsen, Chuck Lazarus
    [​IMG]

Manny-

There were some quotes in Chuck's piece that were just over my head. What were they?

-Jimi

5. rjzeller

rjzeller Forte User

Mar 7, 2005
    Rochester, MN
    Jimi and Dave - it was great to see some fellow TMers and put a face to the names. My wife and I LOVED the concert. Doc is truly one of the great perfomrers of our time. (And Manny commands quite a stage presensce himself).

BTW...if you folks didn't get to hear the fanfare Chuck wrote, you missed out. The man is a genius at more than just playing the trumpet.

As for Doc -- he'll be missed. It's been MANY years since I last heard him live..I had almost forgotten just how much soul he pours into that trumpet of his.

Shoot, Jimi-- you and I will always dissagree with your taste for rap, but as for your taste in trumpet players, I think we may have found some common ground.

Now...how does that go, Manny? Meh-Hee-co?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2007
  6. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA

http://wcco.com/video/[email protected]

Check out Doug Carlsen's "moves"...

ML

7. wrbandel

wrbandel Pianissimo User

Mar 9, 2005
    Rochester, MN
    Manny,

I'll second (or third) the opinions given above. That was one AWESOME concert. Doc sounded better than ever, and the orchestra was amazing as usual. Greg and I gushed about that concert at Outback and all the way home.

Rap usually isn't my thing, but when Manny does it, it's really good. :)
    And that was a nice new look Manny, upper lip and all.

Thanks for a great show, it was good talking to you as well.
    Warren

8. BinSB

BinSB New Friend

Nov 16, 2004
    I am so sorry I missed these concerts. To see Manny rap would have been a treat!

I heard this concert was very emotional for Doc. He truly loves you guys in the MN Orch.

Manny: that vest looks great on you!

9. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Well, Bernadette, I don't have to tell you that the feeling's mutual.

Doc has earned a place in the hearts of the orchestra and public that few seldom do. People here really do love him, that's no joke. His kindness to the myriad autograph seekers and well-wishers is exemplary. He always makes time to thank the public that has always supported him.

In rehearsal I am always amazed how seriously he takes the execution of the music. He's always thinking, always listening to see how it can be made better. He knows when he's achieved the limit then moves on.

His dedication to playing is a model for us all. He won't miss a day of practice/playing if he needs to. He also knows how to kick back and good grief... what a story teller! He is one of the funniest guys I know on his feet. he's never at a loss for words.

And his generosity is legendary. I won't even begin to tell you about the many things he's given me over the years but best of all is the time he gives. He and i have had the opportunity to just sit down and talk about things that have nothing to do with the trumpet. He's a deep guy and few are fortunate to see that side of him. I am and I thank G-d for the opportunity to have known the good doctor.

I'm also fortunate to have gotten to know you over the years as his road manager! I wish you luck as well with the various irons you have in the proverbial fire, my friend. Thanks for all you've done for me and my family when we would see you on a regular basis.

Many cheers to you,

Manny

10. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I thought that was Tony Scodwell to the right of Doc!