Doc Severinsen Health & Performances

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BinSB, Feb 1, 2006.

1. BinSB

BinSB New Friend

Nov 16, 2004
    Tony Scodwell and I have been recently informed that there are rumors circulating around a couple of trumpet message boards that Doc is gravely ill and canceling all performances this year.

There is absolutely no truth to those rumors. Doc is in fine health, his chops are great and he continues to practice 3-4 hrs a day.

I know how rumors can get started, so before making any assumptions about Doc's earthly presence (or lack thereof), please contact us here via PM or at [email protected].

Thank you.

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Unbelievable!

It's the single worst thing about the 'net is this sort of stupid rumor mongering.

Doc is just fine and dandy and still plays the crap out of the trumpet. In the shows he plays a bit less than he used to, THAT'S IT!

Sorry you have to go to the trouble of dispelling mythology, Bernadette.

We miss you! Stay well and good luck with the business,

ML

3. BinSB

BinSB New Friend

Nov 16, 2004
    Ah, well, it comes with the territory, Manny. It's just really difficult when you get phone calls asking, "Heard Doc had a heart attack & died...is it true?" Doc was interviewed a couple of weeks ago & asked about the rumors (about which he knew nothing about) so you can imagine how he felt when asked about his grave illness. I thought this was already resolved so hearing today that it's on-going is rather frustrating.

At any rate, we will definitely inform you of any new developments in our business (M & me) - it is on-going. :)

4. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Well, wherever it (the rumour) came from it wasn't this website! Thanks for the "preemptive strike" on it though.

5. mrfabulous963

mrfabulous963 Piano User

Nov 26, 2005
    I can't believe that people would start rumors about Doc.

They were probably just jealous of his awesome trumpet skills

6. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    When asked about his health several months before he died, Pope John Paul II replied, "I don't know, better check the papers"

7. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Well, to paraphrase William Vacchiano, if Doc finds he can't play the way he use to he can always become first trumpet of the Minnesota Orchestra (he said the same thing about Maynard many years ago).

ML

8. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I think that Doc has probably earned the right to play a bit less on his shows, don't you?

I saw Doc one night in Denver with the Denver symphony back in 1987. What a cool show that was and I even found myself in a short conversation with him backstage after the show. The guy is a total class act, and I even liked the smell of the cigar he was smoking. Does he still smoke them? If so, maybe that's what keeps him going because it certainly worked for George Burns. :D

9. Bob Odneal

Bob Odneal Pianissimo User

Jan 5, 2004
    Houston, Texas
    Doc is THE BEST there ever was in my opinion. What a sound. I try to listen to his sound daily as a sound model and a reminder and I have been listening to Doc since 1967!

10. BinSB

BinSB New Friend

Nov 16, 2004
    Doc still smokes cigars but occasionally takes month-long breaks from them. Doc's mother lived to 101 yrs old...so I'm betting Doc will be around for many more years.