Doc Severinsen playing West End Blues

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpetjens, Feb 28, 2007.

1. trumpetjens

trumpetjens Pianissimo User

Mar 14, 2005
    Hearing Doc Severinsen play the West End Blues live in Cerritos on Sunday had me crying from the first famous notes. He had a great spoken intro (as he always does) for whipping the audience into applause, but even this audience had a hushed tone because they knew they were witnessing living history.

Doc Severinsen was my first major influence and I wrote in my high school yearbook that it was my dream to play with him. Not only did I get to fulfill my dream I also gained a great friend and confidante.

If you are passionate about music (not just the trumpet), do WHATEVER it takes to drive, fly or swim and see Doc somewhere on this tour...it is all posted on his website.

Doc said Sunday that without 'Pops', there was no jazz music. I think that many of us can honestly say that without Doc, there would be no us!!!

Jens Lindemann
    www.trumpetsolo.com

2. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Nice testament Jens....and I agree! Congrats on fulfilling your dream!

And here's to DOC! Da' man! :worthy:

3. mattdalton

mattdalton Pianissimo User

Apr 30, 2005
    Newcastle, WA USA
    Amen to that, Jens!

When Doc started playing West End Blues at the Renton, Washington performance on February 19th, it was an instant reminder of how great he is at bringing out different styles of playing. He can really connect the audience to the music in a way that few other performers can. What a great role model and inspiration he is for us all!

4. GROENJ

GROENJ New Friend

Feb 28, 2007
    Lawrenceville Georgia
    Saw Doc Tuesday in Marietta.

West End was great. If you closed your eyes, you might think that Pops had returned.

Doc closed with his version of 1 o'clock jump. I wish it would have lasted until 1 o'clock. I have never heard a band so tight as this one.

I hope this is not the end of an era.