Doc Severinsen

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by oso2you, Jan 7, 2012.

1. oso2you

oso2you New Friend

Dec 16, 2011
    Oregon
    I just listened to a Utube clip of Doc playing the Carnival of Venice. Holy cow, red rider! I knew he was a great trumpeter but that was amazing.
    Makes me feel very small and insignificant:-(

2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    It ain't just you!! ROFL But hey, I do own an Eterna Severinsen! Now I just need to practice more!! ROFLROFLROFL

Last edited: Jan 7, 2012
  3. Branson

Branson Piano User

Jan 16, 2011
    Doc has been an inspiration to all of us.
    He has had some great years and has struggled at other times, but if anyone thinks he is over the hill,
    explain that to him face to face and see who comes out on top.

4. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    if you look at it like that --- small and insignificant --- then you will likely quit the trumpet within the year. So if you compare yourself to DOC, or Al Hirt, or Maynard, or whomever great trumpeter that you like ------------------then you will always be disenchanted with your abilities. HOWEVER, if you view those same people as INSPIRATIONAL --- and you view their work ethic, their professionalism, and stage prescence -- along with their trumpet playing ablility ---- you might practice more, and see yourself improving --- NOT TO BE A DOC ---- but to be the BEST THAT YOU CAN BE ----- and what is better than that???????

5. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    2 years ago I went to Purtle Bras Camp. Harry Kim was a speaker at the camp. Harry played for years with Phil Collins. Harry said to not listen to greats and think I will never be able to do that. He said to think man I can do that too! I just need to get in the practice room and figure it out!

I say to stop feeling small and make a big effort to improve for the love of music.

6. oso2you

oso2you New Friend

Dec 16, 2011
    Oregon
    My comment about feeling small and insignificant was a.........................JOKE.......tongue in cheek. I am not curled up in the corner of my room

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    But if you do end up there, take your horn to practice!! :D

8. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    No doubt about it, Doc is a national treasure. I wouldnt be supprised if he looks in on TM from time to time. Bravo Doc. Best wishes.

9. Local 357

Local 357 Banned

Jul 1, 2011

Interesting thing about "Clarke Technical Studies" here: Technical studies for the cornet - Herbert Lincoln Clarke - Google Books

Is that the more one perseveres at accomplishing the minor goals and speeding up the metronome while still playing accurately...

The more he starts to sound like Doc.

10. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    good thing, that would inhibit your good posture and your ability to keep practicing -- curling up is NOT the best stance to produce good sound, and playing in the corner of the room doesn't help either ------------------and that is cheek in tongue (Australia speak), because they are backwards anyhow -- and is - yet a joke --- so laugh -- ROFL ROFL ROFL yeah like that, ROFL ROFL ROFL