Doc STILL has it...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by gbdeamer, Nov 21, 2011.

1. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    I think Mr Kindy is pretty close to the mark (pun intended). Plot all of the years Doc has been playing along the X axis, and the quality/level at which he's been playing along the Y axis. The area under that graph will amaze you - and will be hard to beat I reckon (do the same for other star players to put this into perspective).

--bumblebee

Last edited: Nov 24, 2011
  2. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Wonder if anyone got any sound clips. Airmen of Note are top notch. We get them here in Montgomery each year right before Christmas. A free concert (donation of food for food bank) and you get to hear a fabulous group. The neat thing about the military is you have a band full of excellent top muscians that get to play together day after day after day (unlike nonmilitary bands that often form for a number of months tour -next tour will be different guys). And there is that military discipline. :) Oh yeah, I forgot. Buddy Rich.

3. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
  4. bumblebee

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    You said:
    and then
    Well if you're going to dress like Doc then you know where to start!

--bumblebee

5. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    I was told by a leader of one of the bands I play in that I am not allowed to dress like Doc until I can play like Doc. Looks like lime green pants are not in my future.

6. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    YUP -- me too - my Mom would let me sneak downstairs way after my bedtime --- just so I could watch Doc ---- they were good ole days back then --- my Mom knew how much I loved the trumpet ----and Doc was/is the best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. bumblebee

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    But nobody need see your underwear, and I won't tell! Google might though...

--bumblebee

8. bumblebee

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    And just in case anybody else needs convincing, have a listen to Doc at 82 (Doc Severinsen performs "El Farol" with Gil GutiƩrrez & Pedro Cartas)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCRLSIK9oEg

--bumblebee

9. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

Hahahaha .... Hey, that's some good math. It's pretty hard to argue with a scientfically derived snapshot of someone's entire career. 2 + 2 still equals 4, doesn't it??? Good job.

Now, kids, don't try this at home. Plotting your own graph can be a little depressing ...:-(

Turtle

10. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    Doc's success has come from practice, constant practice.
    Funny thing is all the greats, Herseth (whom Doc once said in a radio interview was the greatest trumpeter alive), Doc, Vizzutti, McNab, Mendez, Andre', etc. all constantly practiced. They were (are) always striving to improve.
    Maybe if more of us (including me) here practiced instead of posting here and elsewhere, we might get better on the horn. Learn to make a weakness a strength and everything improves.
    Doc would certainly approve of that, wouldn't he?
    Rich T.